News from Russia

I think you are probably taking too wide a definition of “enemies”. Obviously, I haven’t read the draft legislation, even in translation, only the report I quoted, but I would guess it in fact refers to parties who are killing Russians in combat, such as the UAF.

Russians aren’t idiots and their government generally acts rather rationally, from the reports I have read, even if journalists in EU/NATO countries are not allowed to say so. It’s hard to see what is “silly” (as one commenter wrote) about a government not wanting people within its own jurisdiction to raise money to kill its citizens.

By comparison, in UA, it is a crime to publish a news report which might be seen to give support to the RF, whether or not it is based on facts. Journalists who do so, in whatever jurisdiction, are liable to be added to the Myrotrovets database and doxed and later to be murdered in many cases. The organisation gives it’s “home” as Langley, Va., U.S.A., btw (ring any bells?). Myrotvorets - Conservapedia

I can’t imagine they allow funds to be raised to support the Russian military within their own territory (or so much of it over which they have control).

Edit: reinstate Langley as home of Mytrovets

1 Like

I think in international law, a clear distinction is made between killing soldiers invading your country and killing civilians of the invading country.

From what I hear, countries providing military aid to Ukraine are making it very clear that the UAF should not use that military aid to target Russian civilians.

At the same time, the Russian Armed Forces seem to routinely target Ukrainian civilians and civilian infrastructure. Last winter there were numerous blackouts in Ukraine as a result.

I hope the Patriot systems an other defensive systems provided by Ukraine’s allies will reduce the blackouts this winter.

“Seem”, and according to the Western press, do. The Kremlin’s line is and has been, consistently, that they do not ‘target’ civilians. I’m not in a position to judge, neither, I would suggest, are you. I certainly would not uncritically accept assertions to that end published by the UA govt. Civilians do die when military forces/installations are targeted. The American term for this is ‘collateral damage’.

See Palestine.

To me that means “Putin’s line” and I adhere very little credibility to it.

I suppose it’s a choice. You seem to trust Putin more than Western media. It’s the opposite for me.

1 Like

To me it seems the RT article has been dropped here to start a discussion which can only lead to polarisation. Deliberately.

6 Likes

Because a forum user posting a fundraiser for something does not mean that the fundraiser is sponsored by OGS. Even if you take the new law by its letter, you cannot punish a forum for what a few users post. :thinking:

If that was not so then all search engines would have been banned due to that interpretation of the new law.

As for your reasonable concern about the players losing access to the server, AT WORST the whole issue applies to the OGS forum. I do not go to the chatrooms, but as far as I can tell, there is nothing on the OGS Server that violates any interpretation of that law, ergo the site itself should be safe. :slight_smile:

Edit:
oh and if someone says that OGS server and OGS forum are one thing, then that is like saying that if there is a problem with a Yamaha piano, then we should recall the Yamaha motorbikes. Let’s not make a huge issue out of hypotheticals.

2 Likes

Perhaps. It wouldn’t be the first time.

Still, I think OGS forum users should be allowed to make such posts. Only if the discussion gets too heated and personal, moderator intervention may be needed.

2 Likes

I think what you say is probably right. OGS is a very small fish and really unlikely to cause the PGO to leap into action whatever the letter of the draft law turns out to be. (It’s not a law, yet btw: it still has at least two stages of the democratic process to go through, as reported). An extremely popular war simulation game whose publishers have launched an appeal (as mentioned in the report) is much more the sort of thing they might be interested in.

1 Like

What makes you think that? I don’t uncritically accept Kremlin accounts of actions where civilians are killed either.

In any case, “Putin” doesn’t write reports for RT. Journalists do, and where NATO disagrees with the Kremlin line, they say so.

Well, you seem to adhere a lot of credibility to the Russian media and government, and at the same time you seem to adhere much less credibility to Western media and governments.
And in previous topics you expressed pretty much the same stance.

1 Like

Putin is not the government, be is head of state, and as such, wields a great deal of influence. Far more than ours, King Charles. Then again, Putin was elected and Chas wasn’t.

I wonder how you feel about all of his major domestic political opponents ending up in exile, in prison or dead (or a combination of those). Is that an acceptable way of expanding political influence?

2 Likes

I don’t really want to participate in the discussion. As I said, the forum should continue as usual. However some of you seem to confuse OGS with the OGS forum. If the Russian government decides to block the forum (which is unlikely), it doesn’t mean it would block the OGS playing site.

(Oops I just noticed that JethOrensin said essentially the same.)

3 Likes

This is an opinion shared by some OGS users.
The OGS owner doesn’t share it and stated very clearly his own opposite opinion.
My own opinion is that’s great, i do appreciate that.

Let’s not be so afraid of some hypothetical consequences and keep enjoying our games here.

7 Likes

I started this thread by giving information not available to all our users, but possibly relevant to their use of this site, namely a verbatim copy of (parts of) a report of a particular piece of draft legislation in passage through the Russian legislative process and how this site may (possibly) be affected by that, if enacted.

You and others, however, just want to use the thread it to promulgate the sort of Russophobic propaganda I can read any day of the week in the Daily Mail and dozens of other UK MSM outlets.

Your remarks are increasingly off-topic.

Furthermore, I am not here to be any sort of apologist for the Russian regime. You have to make up your own mind about that and clearly have.

Fair point, but wouldn’t it be a shame if users based in Russia were not able to participate in discussions about go and OGS, presumably the primary purpose of this forum?

You’re entitled to your unevidenced beliefs, but that doesn’t make them correct. I would regard this post as an ad hominem attack.

Uhm, sharing Russian state propaganda doesn’t look like “giving information” to me.

1 Like

I’m not so sure it’s the primary purpose of this forum. Many discussions here are not about go or OGS, the only relation with OGS is that participants in this forum play on OGS, but they may chat about anything, related to go or not. Like in this thread for instance.

5 Likes

“The ToS [Terms of Service] the relationship between you and Online-Go.com shall be governed by the laws of the State of North Carolina without regard to its conflict of law provisions. You and Online-Go.com agree to submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located within the State of North Carolina.”