Not playing joseki

I’ve been thinking. What if I stop playing joseki and start playing the moves I want. That sounds fun.

6 Likes

I kind of already do that. I don’t really know more than the first 2 or 3 moves in the sequences. At some point, I don’t know if it benefits me to do that because I don’t know where to go next. I have ended up building plenty of wall from those 2-3 moves that put me in a terrible position. I just don’t always know what I am doing in the beginning of 19x19 games. The problems of playing too many 9x9 games. I like the endgame the best, but in 19x19, it is usually too late to come back.

1 Like

If you can give 2 stones handicap to someone, therefore you can win with any nonsense instead of joseki.

2 Likes

I’m going to do that. It’ll reflect how I actually feel in this game.

The only joseki I ever play is Takemiya’s kosumi because that’s the only thing I can do something with if the opponent doesn’t play along.

https://senseis.xmp.net/?TakemiyaKosumi

I don’t fully understand any other joseki so I don’t know how to punish deviations from it, so there is no point in doing that because it only works if the opponent sticks to the joseki.

I will start learning this stuff when I reach 1 dan. I think it’s a waste of time before that.