OGS for go players only!

I can’t get rid of this thought now. OGS is very unfriendly to utter beginners;
just like go itself.

Using ogs is like playing some table game irl, everyone needs to know the “unspoken” rules and hold many things in mind to make everything work, though, at least we don’t need to count game score manually. I guess, that’s what happens when you make a game server for an unfriendly rl board game by players themselves.
I’d say when you stop being a beginner many of ogs flaws just disappear. You just learn to hold value in your head. You learn to “play stones in your mind before even attempting to play a move”.

After being continuously mauled and becoming mentally traumatized by this game I find it hard to take some of scrupulous interface complaints seriously. I just want to say: “What did you expect?” or “Maybe you should find another game to play”.

It’s a game in which one needs to read f*ing books to improve!
Who even plays games like this?!
Well, I do :sunglasses:

I just wanted to say that I like this site which allows me to play my favorite game.

Thank you.

3 Likes

People play Chess, Bridge, Poker, Hex, Hive… all have books to help you improve.

There’s books about Mahjong and Shogi, backgammon.

There’s guide books to video games when you want to 100% them.

I don’t think anyone needs books to improve, but some people enjoy reading books and learning from other people who’ve already had to work out or translate or some combination of both how to improve at the game and how to explain to others how to improve at the game.

If you play some newer games released in the last few years where no one has written up strategy guides, you will find people looking for notes or videos and general resources on how to play, and somebody has to figure out how to play well and how to explain it to others.

I don’t see it as a negative that there are resources available for people to improve, or that you might want to avail of these things in order to improve quicker than you might from just playing over and over until it clicks - which is what people had to do in the beginning.

2 Likes

What one person views as scrupulous complaints, some people may view as constructive feedback. There is nothing wrong with expressing ones opinion on strengths and / or flaws of the website, as long as its done in a respectful way. Feedback and discussion can help developers to improve the site.

Or find another platform to play Go. But not me, I’m happy with OGS.

I share this sentiment :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t say go is the only one, but rather go is one of those games that requires you to read to become better.

I don’t think anyone needs books to improve

I think you’re wrong. If you want to be competitive you need to use other peoples knowledge. We all after all just midgets on shoulders of a giants.

Life isn’t long enough for us to take full path from the bottom up. Saying that you can avoid using other peoples knowledge is being irrational in such circumstances. Books are simply the best tool available for accessing condensed knowledge.

I don’t see it as a negative that there are resources available for people to improve, or that you might want to avail of these things

Me neither. It’s just the way it is; can’t go around it. There’re people before you who pushed the boundaries of knowledge.

in order to improve quicker than you might from just playing over and over until it clicks

It might not even cklick :face_with_hand_over_mouth:, many are unable to create something new.

1 Like

Are you promoting to let other players read books for you?

1 Like