OGS Joseki Dictionary is in beta

At the moment the “design” is for two layer of source reference:

1. The “organisation level” source.

This is “Nick Sibicky”.

The primary purpose for tagging positions with this is so that you can filter by it.

“Show me only joseki from Nick Sibicky” is something you can do (when there are some entries from Nick Sibicky!)

1. A specific reference on the position, within the description.

For example, my in-jest entry for Tengen.

Here you see that the “Source” is Dwyrin, so it will show up when you filter by “Dwyrin”, and the specific link is in the description.

EuG

For videos, my preference is to also include a timestamp. Spending time filtering your way through a 1-3 hour video just to find the one position and its explanation can be easily avoided by including timestamps. Obviously, if the video is a couple of minutes long, then it is not that useful.

4 Likes

I just want to stick my two cents out which are that it would be incredibly helpful to have an option to practice either a specific joseki or set of joseki on a randomly rotated and mirrored board. I am not aware of anywhere to do this exactly online with the closest being something like Joseki Farm.

(If something like this /does/ exist please somebody tell me!)

3 Likes

I think the mobile app tsumego pro has these options.

The “Play” mode offers “the beginning” of this.

It honours the filter, so you’ll only “Play” sequences that you have filtered for.

Rotating and mirroring is on the list, but “non trivial amount of work to be done”.

User-selected set of joseki to “play” is not something I’ve thought about, though I guess it makes some sense. The user-interface for selecting that set is pretty challenging though.

2 Likes

Since we now have the pass option, could it be an idea that if you pass on the first move rather than make it a mistake, which it would be, can we have it lead to something like the placement of handicap stones on the board.

I don’t play with handicap stones all that much, and when I do (like in some over the board competitions) I don’t necessarily play with all of 2-9 stones. So it could just be handy as a reference sheet :slight_smile:

[Optional] You could even then throw in some handicap joseki if you really wanted, given that with 9 stones on the board, any corner approach is technically loosely pincered.

I imagine people will click pass on the first move just to see what it says out of interest. I mean I did.

Edit: I mean it actually says “Don’t pass on the first turn, it’s rude.” but it also says its a mistake down the bottom.

1 Like

Just noting that the pass-on-the-first move entry in the Beta dictionary is my silly joke at demonstrating a pass in action.

I totally agree that in the real thing, there may be a more useful use for that position, and a more helpful description :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought it was funny anyway. It was just a random thought that I had while looking at the new features/updates.

2 Likes

Thankyou! Made my day :slight_smile: (Rare that people get my jokes!)

Could we perhaps change “pass” to “Tenuki”? Seems to make more sense to me in the Fuseki.

1 Like

I think “pass” is the vernacular currently used with other joseki medium. Especially in the context of setting up handicap stones.

1 Like

So true!

We could lead the way by labelling it properly :slight_smile:

The only downside I can think of is that “Pass” is one syllable and 4 letters wheras Tenuki is 2 more letters and two more syllables! :open_mouth:

Oh, dang … well … then … forget what I said :no_mouth:

What is this, Twitter? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No, it’s a button. Which looks very good the way it is right now, IMNSHO :wink:

2 Likes