OGS team league proposal

There is quite some chance to get large difference sometimes so to have quite predictable results.

1 Like

True.

Another thing is to arrange a system (live) with enough probability that everyone can agree on a time to play.

1 Like

Yeah, there would probably have to be suggested playing slots.

eg. 18:00 UTC+0 for Europe, and another one for America, like 20:00 EST (13:00 UTC+0)

2 Likes

Sounds like a good idea. Any Go site should have some regular league and tournament games.

My only hesitance is to play those Europeans due to time difference, but should be able to manage

I’m playing in a team league at the moment. It is organised by the Chilean Go Federation. It has been fun.

This sort of thing requires more effort than an ordinary league or tournament, but it also has some benefits. It obliges participants to get organised and to communicate regularly with other team members.

An OGS wide team league might be tricky due to time zones.

3 Likes

depends on the interest, maybe it can be a league by nations or time zones, then a champion league, sort of like UCL.

2 Likes

Or it could be played by correspondence instead of live, maybe that would make it easier. The trouble would be that some games would drag the thing out. Maybe correspondence with an absolute time setting to make sure all games for each round finish before a certain date?

3 Likes

I am not playing correspondence games, not real game. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Me too now, but OGS has deep roots and many players in correspondence games. Should be by far still the most popular.

1 Like

I’m interested but only live

1 Like

My vision is a live league.

Correspondence doesn’t really have kibitz culture. A live league could be streamed, for instance.

3 Likes

Modeled after the lichess 4545 league? If so I’m 102% in with a 2% margin of error. Each game in a match would be scheduled independently, right? I think the lichess 4545 league has proven that can work.

1 Like

Each game in a match would be scheduled independently, right?

That’d be the idea. We’d just encourage people to consider timeslots like 18:00 UTC+0 and 18:00 EST (13:00 UTC+0), as some foundation for scheduling.

Games could be played at any time or day in the fortnightly round session. That session could even tighten up to a week if the league really teethed in.

1 Like

up for it?

• sure sounds comf

0 voters

What about CST and Australia time?

Australia is UTC+8–11.

1 Like

Means Utc 18 is AEST 4am?

Since this is an OGS league, guess I can safely assume participants all have up to date ranks, so I would prefer to play all games as ranked ones.

2 Likes

a thought on this matter: perhaps we should use this against other servers as well for superiority and or power.

that or just " fun and friendliness reasons"