Ongoing game with disqualified player in tournament

I’m in a tournament and I saw that one of the players has been disqualified. I don’t know if it’s the player as an account or they are disqualified in that specific tournament. If it’s the first I think I’ll have to wait it out, but if it’s the second?
The game between us is ongoing, I don’t know what is supposed to happen; they will time out eventually? ours and the rest of their games should be annulled now anyway? do I have to wait it out and how does this affect my rank?

1 Like

People can be disqualified from tournaments for not complying with tournament rules, but their games are still valid.

3 Likes

(I’m not arguing, just to understand the reasoning since this is new to me)
They can be disqualified for breaking a rule of a tournament, but they still get to play their games in that tournament? Why is that? Shouldn’t they be “out of the race”, so to speak?
That’s what I’d expect to happen.

2 Likes

If a person TO’s (timeouts) one of their games in a particular tournament then the system will automatically disqualify them from that tournament. The effect of this is to remove them from further rounds. There is no effect on other games in that round.

When a T.D.(tournament director) disqualifies someone for breaking a tournament rule, they lose all their current games in that tournament ‘By disqualification’ and are of course also removed from future rounds.

5 Likes

So, if they time out and not actually lose the game for “game” reasons, we all get to play our games, they just don’t get to the next round (if there is one in that type of tournament). But if they break a rule, they lose all their games. Did I get it right?

2 Likes

Almost right. If they already had some wins, these stand. They are not overturned. It’s really a lose-lose situation when someone has to be manually disqualified. Fortunately most tournaments don’t have special rules.

2 Likes

I didn’t say that.

After you are disqualified from a tournament you are out of the tournament.

But if you still have games running, they are still ranked games that are running.

(More or less what Kosh said I think)

4 Likes

Ah, they are valid as ranked games, not as tournament games.
I see, thanks!

1 Like

I understand now, thanks!

1 Like

Slight kink to this. The disqualified person is out of contention but if they still have ongoing games in the tournament then those will count for points as far as their opponents tournament score goes.

4 Likes

OGS official tie-breakers, ie. rules that determine the final tournament standings after all the rounds have been played, are:

1. Status
  2. Points
  3. SOS
  4. SODOS
  5. Rating

“Status” meaning non-DQ’d players > DQ’s, so all the non-disqualified players before disqualified ones. So if somebody gets DQ’d due timeout on the very last round of the tourney, like on last macmahon round or on the (only) round of round robins, they are still aboard. Just behind everybody who didnt get DQ’d ^^

And the reason why DQ’d players will be dropped only for the future rounds is that we dont want “dead accounts” being dragged along and getting paired with other players. But in case it just happened to be single accidental timeout, we still want him/her to be able to enjoy those games which are still ongoing. Afterall, its more important to allow having fun playing go, than quickly find out who get a pixelated trophy on their profilepage.

5 Likes

I get 1 by the explanation, 2 is obvious, but 3-5?..

1. Sum of Opponents’ Score https://senseis.xmp.net/?SOS
  2. Sum Of Defeated Opponents’ Scores https://senseis.xmp.net/?SODOS
  3. And rating… In the very rare and unlikely situations where more than one player are still tied after all those, the one who has higher rating will be ahead. It may sound harsh, but after SODOS there isnt any more reasonable tie-breakers left, unless we continue the tournament with one more game.
4 Likes