Option to disable undo requests?

Question about the proposed feature: Would players who utilise this feature be able to request undo themselves?

In other words, are you allowed to automatically reject all opposing undo requests but sometimes request undo yourself?

It becomes a question of implementation I guess, the difference being between automatically rejecting all incoming undo requests, and disabling the undo requests for both parties during a game. On lichess the latter variant is in effect, and it works really well, just taking this element out of ranked (as well as non-ranked if one is so inclined) games altogether.

1 Like

I dont see why not, i have nothing against this feature. If my opponent doesnt want me to take back my move, i dont care if he’s actively or passively ignoring my request, as it doesn’t make any kinda difference on the actual game at all.

OGS already has more features than all the rest go servers put together, i dont see what harm would it do to have one more ^^

ps. i just wanna say this to everyone: if you ever misclick or make any other mistake which you want to take back, it is quite polite to tell in the chat what move you were attempting to play. It’s only fair for your opponent to know whats going to happen if they accept your request, if you are asking someone to choose something, you should also tell them the options they have.

3 Likes

The only reason I see against having that option is:

which isn’t a big issue since now we have a sort of starship control panel. Nobody will notice the difference. :innocent:

I like to grant undo by hand, so I don’t really need the “always grant undo” option. But since someone asked for it: why not?

4 Likes

Hooray, that makes 6 of us, close to half the thread! The revolution starts here! etc.

PS. I take for granted Lys got ‘always’ and ‘never’ mixed up, seeing as how an ‘always grant undo’ option hasn’t been discussed in earnest— can’t see why anyone would hand that kind of agency to their opponent but hey if anyone seriously wants to automatically grant takebacks hehe be my guest.

Cheers

1 Like

you think OGS is a democratic place? :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Really?

1 Like

With special emphasis on the words discussed in earnest (i.e., not mentioned in passing) yes, furthermore I’d direct you to the name of this thread and the fact that the user whom you answered (_KoBa) was indeed writing about an option to never allow takebacks— but hey, sure, options for never allowing and always allowing is fine by me :slight_smile: Current discussion is mainly about option number one though, feel free to start a separate thread about an ‘always-allow-undo-requests’ option if you feel strongly about it.

Cheers!

Hmm darn I don’t know… Let’s have a poll!

PS. I did happen to kinda call for a revolution, come to think of it… Answer your question? :smiley:

I don’t know. where i came from, when one calls for a revolution, it typically does not end well.

This is the internet, nothing bad ever happens here (except undo requests).

1 Like

I just don’t see it as all that much different from hovering shadow stone around the place to see how it looks on the board. Or if you enable confirm move, you can place a stone, see what you think and then change your mind. Same as undoing if you ask me. The only difference is that I can’t tell what they are doing whereas the undo thing needs my intervention (and runs down my clock I think). Therefore if any undo request is granted automatically it’s just the same as enabling “confirm move” for my opponent.

However, I recognise that this is not the discussion you want to have.
My thoughts on having an “always ignore” setting is that the negative aspects you mentioned in the first post are still there is just maybe that you don’t feel then. But I suspect your opponent still will.

And finally, I think that undoing is equivalent to dropping a stone IRL. I’ve no idea what the formal rules are but it would be inconceivable for me to insist on my opponent playing it where it landed. We are not playing golf!

Having said that, if it’s thought best for it to be an option then I’m not really bothered. Like @Gia said I accept and don’t request so it wouldn’t really affect me. I do think that it should have one of those warning triangle things. And certainly anyone who sets this setting should not be able to request undos.

[Edit: sorry I took so long to write this that various other posts intervened]

1 Like

Earnest.
I didn’t know that word. I superficially thought it was something like “earlier”. My fault.
Thanks for pointing that out and clarifying what you think about other people’s thoughts.

The only “earnest” topic is the one you care about. Nice.

Good luck with your request.

I don’t see many undo requests anyhow so I don’t think it’s worthwhile.

5 Likes

The thing that irritates me is that the only time I see them is in tournies (which I play rarely, I admit)

2 Likes

Just because I used a word you didn’t understand there’s no need for you to go all blue on me is there? :slight_smile:

Your post unfortunately says a lot more about yourself than it does about me. I’ve never said anything close to what you try to make the case. This, however, is a topic about having an option never allowing undo requests, therefore, it’s considered thread hijacking to steer the discussion off 180 degrees. Discussing contradictory things in the same thread makes everything confusing, and that’s why you should be on topic. Furthermore, said idea was as a matter of fact never ‘discussed in earnest’ (as in, several people weighing in with substantive arguments as to pro’s and con’s of having an always allow option), it was mentioned in passing, by some more as a kind of tongue in cheek counterweight to the stated (see title) central theme of this thread.

Just make your own thread, I specifically said you should if you feel strongly about the issue of automatic undo grants. Have a blast, I’ve never stated I think it couldn’t lead to an earnest discussion. Since you haven’t however I reckon you don’t really find the issue important at all, and you’re just being rude because we happen not to agree with one another. People are different, attacking me because I don’t think the same as you won’t really get you anywhere. If you had read my earlier posts, you might have come across sections such as

“we are all differently attuned to these kinds of things. The matter is not one of right or wrong, the matter is one of difference.”

“This topic wasn’t really created in order to have us all state our individual views on undo requests, it was a very concrete inquiry as to why this is not an option.”

and

Thank you all for your input

Which, if you’d care to try and understand me instead of deciding a priori I’m a meanie for wanting an option you don’t personally find useful, would have you understand I very much value the thoughts and input of other people, especially those that differ from your own, as long as you can have a productive dialogue and grow richer from those very differences. The tendency on the internet is, regrettably, not one of dialogue but simply blindly going at people who are different from yourself and/or whatever enclave you’re entrenched in.

Misunderstanding (perhaps not even making an effort to understand) another person’s viewpoint, and then jumping to the hasty and incorrect conclusion that they “don’t care about other’s thoughts”, tells a lot more about the accuser than it does the accused, and it does come across as rather arrogant.

I forgive you though, no hard feelings from my end :slight_smile:

Enjoy your weekend, cheers!

edit: spelling and grammar

1 Like

If you’d actually read the earlier posts you’d see there are people who’s opinions differ from your own and we’ve kind of already worked beyond the “I, due to personal taste, wouldn’t find this addition useful” argument. Personally, I don’t find the ‘game preferences’ menu at all overloaded but… Maybe we have to agree to disagree about that?

edit: Misread link

1 Like

The link is not to the poll but the meme about option overload.

The question is, if an option were added for this would we be solving a problem that doesn’t really exist and effectively only adding to option overload?

One view is that options are already overloaded so one more doesn’t matter. Another is that each option should only be added if it’s really adding value for enough people.

So then we are on to what value is this adding? For @Knyttet the value seems significant. Are there enough who agree to justify everybody getting an extra option added to the existing abundance.

Maybe one might think of a “one in one out policy”. What option could be replaced by this one? This might be av good way of determining what the least useful existing option is. If this one is more useful than that one then it could take it’s place and avoid overload that way.

1 Like

For me (and I think others present in the discussion as well) it comes down to the act of asking for an undo. I don’t share your views on the “dropping stones” analogy— in that case the opponent obviously, before your eyes, drops a stone possibly knocking others over in the process, while online stones are always placed with no hint as to the manner of their being placed. A much closer analogy would be your opponent placing a stone, a few second later asking you to please let them place it somewhere else because they meant actually to play somewhere else; neither do I find the ‘move-shadow’ or the act of changing your move before you confirm the same as asking for an undo, mainly because… You’re not asking your opponent to take a played move back and pick another one, you’re in the process of choosing a move. I have no issues with people using the analysis board in correspondence go/chess, in fact I’d reckon it’s the established norm that analysing positions in depth with the analysis board is completely fine. None of this ruptures the game in the same way as breaking the flow of stones by asking your opponent to have to decide whether you can pick another move or not.

As stated earlier, it’s an option that’s been very welcome over on lichess. Can’t find much action in the forums there about removing this option, it’s just a matter of fact that in games where takebacks are disabled you have to stand by your moves and that is that, there will be no onus on any player to have to adjudicate outside-of-rules situations such as takebacks.

I’m glad to hear you in the end have nothing against the proposal though :slight_smile:

Have a nice weekend, cheers!

1 Like

I can’t say I find the current ‘game preferences’ menu overloaded at all to be honest, and an option in there to tick or un-tick an ‘Enable undo-requests’ option wouldn’t turn the thing into a spaceship console as far as I’m concerned, but you’re certainly free to think otherwise.

As I wrote earlier, I created the topic mostly to see what the reasoning (if there is any) behind this not being an option is, seeing as how well and seamlessly it’s a part of lichess functionality. I’ve never considered the OGS options crammed, but if users find it a labyrinthine mess then I suppose that’s an argument against adding further functions.

Posting a picture of roughly half of lichess ‘Game behaviour’ section in user preferences, showing how they’ve solved the issue under discussion.

lichess takebacks|690x415

Cheers!

edit: grammar

1 Like