People "sandbagging" free game....why?

xDD Someone wanna play then a tired but still Go-addicted me?

2 Likes

Not now unfortunately (I have stuff to do tonight).

1 Like

Me too ā€¦ but I donā€™t want to xD Maybe I will Cook me something then xD (If someone still wants to play, simply send me a game request please)

1 Like

As usual in lengthy Forum threads, the discussion has split into two different issues, which in this case are almost the opposite of one another. The OP premise was that players are playing unranked games against weaker opponents, yet somehow improving by one or two stones. I donā€™t accept this premise, as stated in my first post, so I think there is no sandbagging issue here (aside from the games being unranked and therefore defined as not sandbagging under OGS rules). However, it was subsequently sidetracked by the idea of a ā€œstaleā€ rank, which usually would result in airbagging rather than sandbagging. So we have reached the impasse of nonsense.

I think the conclusion is: More data needed :slight_smile:

I donā€™t remember if Iā€™ve ever played against someone like that. But I only play correspondence games, usually ranked games in tournaments and ladders, so it canā€™t happen in those cases anyway.

I imagine it must be quite annoying for their opponents. Probably, if that happens to you once or twice, I guess youā€™ll then mostly look for ranked games afterwards, but I still get that it can be frustrating.

Me too, sometimes - but a lot of the time I donā€™t. So yeah, of course this is a problem that has to do with expectations. But why should I blame anyone for what kind of games they are looking for? I think itā€™s totally justified to primarily look for games in a certain rank range. And when you then get something very different, itā€™s okay to be annoyed.

Wellā€¦ Like it was said before, itā€™s not against our rules and people can do that. I personally donā€™t like it, though. Those players get reported relatively often, and I will then explain to them that there was a report, that they didnā€™t violate the rules, but that itā€™s kind of understandable that some their opponents will be annoyed, and Iā€™ll ask them if they could play a couple of ranked games, so that their rank can adjust. Thatā€™s it. And then I also need to explain that to the reporting player.
So from a modā€™s view, this behavior just creates some extra work and also makes some people unhappy (the majority doesnā€™t complain, though) .

1 Like

Youā€™re right, most of us arenā€™t sandbag-mod gods like @Conrad_Melville :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: thatā€™s why going through an opponentā€™s game history is not on the average userā€™s list of things-to-do before a game

2 Likes

LoL :joy:
But youā€™d maybe think differently if it was a 12k account whoā€™s already playing like a 7k.
(I know this sounds exaggerated, but I do sometimes see such accounts that apparently have a difference of at least 5 stones between displayed and ā€œrealā€ rank.)

1 Like

Unlike other proposals here, you can do so or not, as you please. More important is that there is no issue here, in my opinion, as already explained. The ā€œgodā€ sarcasm is misplaced, I have never suffered under any delusion of grandeur, but when people spout nonsense about sandbagging, I will speak up. Normally, the information gleaned from someoneā€™s direct experience is regarded favorably, not mocked.

1 Like

No I mean it, we are all aware of your sandbag-modding experience. I am sharing my perspective as someone who has not spent much time as a mod: checking opponentā€™s game history (as youā€™ve proposed many times as a solution) is not something us commoners usually do.

1 Like

That is traditional sandbagging unless it is a first-time account. This thread is not about that. it is about a speculative situation described by the OP.

[quote=ā€œbenjito, post:50, topic:47539ā€]
as youā€™ve proposed many times as a solution
[/quote]r

I believe I put it in quotes originally, because I donā€™t think a solution is needed for this non-problem.

1 Like

No no, Iā€™m talking about exactly that situation: Someone who used to play ranked games for a bit and established a rank, but now has only been playing unranked games for quite a while, so that the originally established, genuine rank doesnā€™t match their actual rank anymore. And sometimes that difference is big.

Yea, I agreeā€¦ But I did never request any kind of moderation either. Just discussing for the sake of discussing. Why do people seem to assume than becasue you speak about a behavior you find poor itā€™s automatically becasue you want some enforcement to be done?

Because typically people do want that, and I can tell you that there have been others reporting exactly this, expecting action from the moderation team.

In any case, my message could serve to others encountering this topic who do expect some kind of enforcement.

1 Like

Seeing the about 90% win rateā€¦no, itā€™s not questionable. If they would play ranked game, they would rank up very fast. What they purposely avoid to do.

And I have clearly mentioned this is not real sandbagging, but this is simply poor sportsmanship. Neither as I think I need to protect myself or ask for some enforcement action to be taken again such individual, simply speaking about theā€¦quite particularbehavior for the sake of the discussion.

2 Likes

Sure, lot of people like teaching gameā€¦I did ton of those with much stronger player a my go club. But it was coming with an actual review and this was purposed in advance to be a teaching game.

Not everyone like unrequested stomp however :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yep indeed KGS does that and that not a bad way to do it. Sometime poeple in 6mth can improve a lot and if they are inactive on the server it might affect their rank significantly.

2 Likes

People generally donā€™t get stronger by playing weaker players. Some players do adopt a strategy of playing stronger players unranked, and then playing some ranked games, as a way of improving themselves and their rank, and it seems to work pretty well. but not the reverse.

However, all of this is moot. The OP shared an example with me, and I recognize the account as a probable alt of an old-fashioned sandbagger, probably someone I once banned. The person has simply started using the old dodge of unranked games to get his satisfaction, but he was much stronger to begin with. This has nothing to do with most of the discussion in this thread. Ironically, when I was a new mod, I argued against this specific scenario (because it has the crucial element of deliberate concealment), but was told that one canā€™t sandbag in unranked gamesā€”period.

What a waste of time this has been. There is nothing new here, and most of the discussion was misdirected.

1 Like

Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 8.27.15 PM

Thank you for your contributions :laughing:

2 Likes

This is what I was suspecting since the beginning of the discussion. I didnā€™t say it because I didnā€™t want to accuse anyone without proof.

So we agree this is a real problem. To which I proposed a solution. If this solution has already been discussed at length elsewhere, Iā€™d be interested if someone could provide a link to avoid further loss of time.

2 Likes