Persistent troll with different user names (?)

Obviously it doesn’t, the only thing that $10 fee can do is to scare people away. I was thinking of something much more exclusive with unknown as of yet benefits that would attract a selected few. :wink:

Seriously though, I don’t have much to add to what @Adam3141 said. If those “draconian policies” are implemented, you’ll see a lot of players leaving as well as a lot of “site admins stole my money!!!111” drama.

1 Like

I’m not certain a fee is the answer to trolls. OGS prides itself on easy access. One reason so many beginners play here compared to other servers is it’s so easy to set up an account and start playing. Compare this to other servers, where you have to download and install a client, mess with your java security settings, or whatever. That part of OGS is unlikely to change.

One option we’ve considered is restricting chat to accounts more than a day old. That would preserve access while restricting chat trolls. On the other hand, it wouldn’t help the sandbagging trolls, and you’d lose the ability of two friends (or a student and teacher) to set up an account and begin chatting and playing together right away. That’s why we haven’t taken that step.

5 Likes

Just trying to think outside the box. Looks like you’re left with the same old problem and same old solution. Suggest setting up a new forum “Trolls-R-Us”. Initial topic “Trolls 2017”. That’ll cover most needs until next year when the '17 topic will be locked. Maybe a 2nd topic “Trolls - The Continuing Saga” could be used for long term longitudinal studies.

Otherwise it comes down to use more people with more flyswatters to deal with more flies.

I can’t dispute the obvious sense of community and the camaraderie that comes of confronting an implacable foe; maybe we owe them a debt of gratitude.

any kind of fee is going to prevent younger players from joining up, which is a terrible cost for preventing the very few trolls that join.

There is no solution to assholes appearing in a place where there are anonymous and free accounts. its just a fact of nature. report them and move on.

3 Likes