Pictures From Home

Those flying saucers sound amazing.
I’d love so much to put my hands on one of them.

The originals came from Germany. They are sold out now. But there’s a few craftsmen around the world making good copies.
They are just too expensive for a hobbyist.

Also they have a handful of notes, so when you’re really into that you want more! Many players have their little collection of instruments in different tunings.

It’s just a dream for me, but I’m having that dream since longtime

6 Likes

I though it was a cooking tool, I am so ashamed!
:no_mouth:

7 Likes

The original were designed and produced in Swiss.

4 Likes

You’re right. They’re based in Bern.
I had to double check that… I was so sure!
Thanks for the correction

4 Likes

That’s just because Groin’s phone cam is dirty, I think. :wink:

6 Likes

Now in Baoshan, Yunnan. Supposed to be the Mecca of Yunzi stones.
Well, it’s night and i bumped in that go stones shop so here some pics. Maybe get some more interesting in the next days.

A bunch of famous people

Huge go stones (a plate size)

A few jewelry, may interest @claire_yang

9 Likes

Here i want to share a few pics about the bai ceremony for a new house. The landowner is a headteacher of my village in the countryside of Yunnan, SW of China.

Local specialities include honey, walnuts, donkeys mushrooms and woodwork. When i asked youngers what study/job they are in, the answer is almost always woodwork.

This is the house today. With a careful look you can see a lot of woodworks

Few days ago i was invited to a ceremony for this new house. Many other villagers too.

We sat each opposite side of the gifts for the gods, and that big red wood

Alcohol

Cigarettes

and candies for everyone

Some villagers and a chicken pray.

The same chicken will toktok some of the woods, including the red one.

Fireworks are attached to the red wood

Then the wood is hoisted to the top

With the fireworks exploding we reach the end of the ceremony. Some workers will still throw bags of rice that people will try to catch first for good luck.

13 Likes

No masks?
Either I got used to masks or the villagers are too lax.

1 Like

The world is a big place, lots of different situations with just as many responses.

1 Like

You should come take a look in the Netherlands

2 Likes

I can understand your surprise but the global management is a bit different. When there is a cluster the population has very strict and straight confinement otherwise is similar as what you see here. In big cities it looks different too

5 Likes

Pictures ain’t from me, nor took near my place, but since most of us probably call earth our home I think it’s fair to make an exception and post this beauty in here ¯_ȌᴥȌ_/¯

2019-07-04-23-25-0028-content-aware-edge-600pxapprox-colour

8 Likes

I often see Chinese woodworking made of a gorgeous red wood and ask myself: which kind of wood is it?
Is it something special from China or is it known and available elsewhere? Or is it just wood painted in red??? :grin:

2 Likes

Painted wood. All the wood is imported from Myamar.

1 Like

@Groin’s pictures show painted wood, but rosewood, a naturally reddish wood, literally called “red wood” in Chinese, is highly prized.

2 Likes

During the end of the 19th Century and the very early 20th Century, the United States exported massive amounts of redwood from its California forests to China. The biggest demand was for coffins. Thousands of Chinese worked to build our Western railroad systems, and the most common practice for those that died on the job was to ship them back home in redwood coffins, made here in the U.S. That is why only a fraction of the many hundreds who died building the railroads remain in U.S. cemeteries. Those workers who were no longer employed and returned to China often included redwood among their wages that they could sell for good money when they got back home, good enough to usually more than offset the often exorbitant cost of shipping.

3 Likes

The redwoods (sequoioideae) that you mention are very different from the rosewoods (dalbergia) that are highly prized for traditional Chinese furniture making.

1 Like

Ok tiktok I often see Chinese men making round cutting boards from trees that have a deep red colour, very dark, and huge trunks of two meters diameter or more.
They claim that wood is indestructible by hitting it with various tools and bouncing the round boards on the ground.
Those trees are amazing.

1 Like

Outside pictures from here
Iç Kale Acropolis

Inside pictures from here
http://www.piop.gr/el/diktuo-mouseiwn/Mouseio-Argyrotexnias/to-mouseio.aspx#

13 Likes

Morning view—my state’s famous Tule fog.

Satellite view

12 Likes