Place to share relaxing and thought-provoking videos

Have you read Douglas Hofstadter’s book I Am a Strange Loop?

It is about the concept of consciousness and it also brings up Gödel’s incompleteness theorem in that discussion.

You might also enjoy his other novel Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid

3 Likes

All I can offer

2 Likes

The song is this

which has been part of several other viral phenomena

2 Likes
1 Like

Hey, can I recommend a documentary? It’s trilogy about exposing psychics, mediums and so on in Russia. Maybe you’ll learn something about Russian culture.

I think it can be considered a hit, at least in some circles. It took a stand against Battle of the Psychics - popular TV show that pretends psychics are real.

The title is a little baity, admitted, but the video is actually quite interesting (to me, at least); it deals with several mysteries or “suspicious events” in 18th- / 19th-century Western music composition.

I’m in the process of being gradually educated, from a pretty low level, by TwoSetViolin’s videos which touch on musical history. It’s quite a… “deep” subject, in the sense of there being much to explore.

Did you know that Stradivarius’ violins, which he crafted from 1666 to his death in 1737, have each been given their own names?

Another historical video.

I still remember, by the way, that great lecture that Conrad posted, about whether Mozard was a “bad” composer (due to his reliance on improvisation).

1 Like

I liked the presenters much better in the second video, where they are more professional. I found it interesting, although I am in the camp of the anti-historicists. The rise of historicist performances began when I was a student, and I remember we all thought it was an exciting development. However, many people today think it has gone too far and is exerting a tyranny over performance of Baroque music.

1 Like

As a follow-up, I just found an interesting channel dedicated to historical instruments and musical history, Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment .

Presentation is a lot more serious~

Here’s a playlist link:

Introducing the Baroque Theorbo - YouTube &list=PLa0I2f4DpWlonE2ESxBKRg8Ft-ttK4_Eh

And a video:

Note: this is a spherical video. You can click and drag to pan around and view all directions.

1 Like

This timestamp’ll take you to a translated reading of a Latin text presented as a letter to Cicero from his brother, advising effective canvassing methods for use in a political candidacy campaign.

The “letter” is a text called Commentariolum Petitionis, The Pocket Handbook on Electioneering.

Its provenance is a little spurious, though. To paraphrase https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commentariolum_Petitionis:

Commentariolum Petitionis … is an essay supposedly written by Quintus Tullius Cicero, c. 65-64 BC as a guide for his brother Marcus Tullius Cicero [aka “Cicero”] in his campaign in 64 to be elected consul … The essay does not provide any information … Cicero would not already know, and is written in a highly rhetorical fashion. As such, its authenticity has been questioned.

Many scholars believe that it was not in fact written by Quintus … but in fact … between the periods of Augustus and Trajan [ie. 27 BCE–117 CE, or 726–870 AUC], as a rhetorical exercise. Such exercises were not uncommon in that time period. Others claim that it was in fact written by Quintus, but … perhaps as a piece of carefully distributed propaganda.

Skip to 06:20 / Part 4 for a “cold open” skipping over the arguably somewhat dry but essential introduction and straight into Kepler solids.

I only learned of the philosopher Roger Scruton about six months before he died in Jan 2020. This video is a fascinating and persuasive work IMHO. Now I need to look up his many books.

I thought this video of a cuckoo clock being repaired was pretty interesting and relaxing

2 Likes

I don’t know what’s up in Myanmar but they say this woman was recording her aerobics just as military junta was arriving to parliament for their coup d’etat in background.

Source is on facebook, if anyone wants: Khing Hnin Wai - သီခ်င္းတီးလံုးနဲ႔ ေနာက္ခံ႐ူခင္း... | Facebook

Quite an artistic video. Art creates itself.

2 Likes

The rise of historicist performances began when I was a student, and I remember we all thought it was an exciting development. However, many people today think it has gone too far and is exerting a tyranny over performance of Baroque music.

I wonder, will the same process occur with Shakespeare and Original Pronunciation?

(Although if there must be a standard, I’d rather it be OP than RP…)

I haven’t heard about “Original Pronunciation,” but my attitude would be that Shakespeare doesn’t need anything that would further turn off young people from appreciation of his work. The Scarlatti sonatas are the exemplar of the anti-historicist position. Most people agree that they are vastly more expressive and more beautiful when played on piano, as compared to harpsichord.

1 Like
4 Likes

In a few hours the Perseverance rover will arrive on Mars, which is broadcasted live by NASA:

Here’s a nice video explaining why it’s interesting to watch:

4 Likes

I know this video is titled with clickbait, and it’s also from 2016, before the channel had such a great camera as it does today. Still, I found it interesting, and I think it’s the only time this species has been discussed on AntsCanada.

1 Like