Place to share relaxing and thought-provoking videos

I get quite a kick out of this guy. And to all those who might politically disagree with me:

Don’t worry, I don’t follow him completely seriously.

2 Likes

This video is mostly just a guy taking chestnut seedlings out of a bucket, washing them, and carefully placing them into a compost tray; and using that time to talk a bit about the importance of conserving the American chestnut tree.

There aren’t a load of scene changes, loud montage music, text on screen, or anything like that. It’s great “slow TV”.

If this is up your street then you’ll probably like 李子柒 Liziqi 李子柒 Liziqi - YouTube, although I know @Gia is more of a connoisseur of her videos. As might be expected from the channel name, they demonstrate traditional farming practices in rural China.

[PS. connoisseur is one of the most difficult English words for me to spell. Anglo-French words with unanglicised spelling usually are, largely due to the unpredictable vowels. See also “manoeuvre” (US “maneuver”) and “bureau”.]

3 Likes

Frazil ice. I learned about this phenomenon only 10 years ago when I saw this video. There is another one showing rapid crystallization through streams, but I haven’t been able to find it.

Ice shoves or ice tsunamis, and massive sea foam. Lots of people here who have no idea of the risks they are taking. Not relaxing, but thought provoking.

2 Likes

I was encouraged to post these here. I hope that you find them as relaxing and thought-provoking as I do.

4 Likes

I’ve been watching a lot of this channel lately, and I do find it really relaxing.

Disclaimer: the video is a touch graphic, but I’ve timestamped it to avoid any butchery footage.

This is all about a set of Sumerian tables from about 3,400–3,000 BCE, concerning grain accountancy.

The bulk of discussion is about the unitary system used.

This video is about a sort of modern equivalent to Conway’s Game of Life.

It’s a “coding diary” and that’s not to everyone’s taste, but I’ve timestamped it to the juiciest part.

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

This popped up in my recommendations:

Timestamped for just the minerals – watch from the start if you want more context.

3 Likes

I have a thumbnail-size specimen of fused rock from the Trinity site, where the first A-bomb was tested. Some years ago some people were allowed in there to collect. It doesn’t have any residual radiation. On the other hand, my best friend once field collected a small boulder of a radioactive mineral, which he unloaded by his driveway. (He has a house on 50 acres in the country.) On one of my visits to him he had arranged for a radioactive collector to come by and scan his collection. The expert said, “Whoa, every time you walk by there you’re getting an X-ray.” He was joking, but the rock was quite hot. So my friend swapped that and some other hot specimens. I had brought with me a beautifully crystallized green autunite specimen (one of the first minerals I ever acquired, when I didn’t know it was radioactive). And I swapped that to him for a very fine amber topaz crystal from the Thomas Range in Utah. On another occasion, I bought a flat of rare minerals at auction. Three were radioactives, so I sold them at auction about a month later, and that paid for my original purchase. That is the sum of my history with radioactive minerals.

6 Likes

I learned about this interesting mineral a few weeks ago

5 Likes

That reminds me a lot of rainbow agate, only even more interesting. I was fortunate enough to collect a couple of small pieces of rainbow agate last fall in what is called the Absaroka Mountain Range near Yellowstone National Park (you can’t obviously collect anything in the park). My samples are not anywhere near as cool as you might find with googling “rainbow agate,” and in fact my pieces won’t have any visible rainbow luster to them until they are cut down to about 1/8 of an inch in thickness so right now they just look like strange pieces of quartz. But I have been constantly affirmed by my geology instructor that I have, indeed, found some rainbow agate which is pretty hard to find for that area.

3 Likes

I live near an area where there was a lot of uranium mining back in the (1960’s to 80’s??) and there is not a whole lot of activity going on right now in that regard (although there still is a little uranium mining among other things). One of the fishing ponds I frequently and will be going to next weekend for ice fishing is actually a reclaimed uranium pit mine that was simply turned into a “pond.” I have been there many times since I was about twelve, and so far I don’t have any noticeable effects from the radiation which I have been told is quite low nowadays. I have even been wading in there, and the one rule my dad has is that we can’t eat any fish out we catch out of there (he isn’t terrible concerned though).

So far I haven’t grown a third eye or anything like that, but if I get some rare cancer early in life I guess I’ll know why.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Speaking of geology, I found this video a couple of days ago regarding Yellowstoner and only got a couple minutes in to it, but it should be an interesting watch so I will have to finish it up later.

2 Likes

Here’s a pretty basic submission for this thread that I enjoyed

2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like