Place to share relaxing and thought-provoking videos

This brought me great joy - indeed, it is fun to imagine. ^^

3 Likes

Townsends is mainly a historical American cooking channel, but it sometimes makes forays into the wider 18th- / early 19th-century American culture.

This video is not about letter-writing. It concerns:

• letter-folding
  • sealing wax
  • sealing wafers
  • the early American postal system
2 Likes

Fast version with music

Slow version

3 Likes

And then came a sound. Distant at first, it grew into a cacophany so immense it could be heard far away in space. There were no screams. There was no time. The mountain called Fagradalsfjalli had spoken. There was only fire. And then, nothing.

1 Like

A discussion of the role of imitation banknotes in Chinese ancestor worship and funerary ritual.

1 Like

new version of “the first real image of black hole”

how it looks in polarised light. This is the first time astronomers have been able to measure polarisation, a signature of magnetic fields, this close to the edge of a black hole. This image shows the polarised view of the black hole in M87. The lines mark the orientation of polarisation, which is related to the magnetic field around the shadow of the black hole.

ZOOM 3414x3447

some separated images on 0:27

2 Likes

Here are some more explanations about that new pic and how they’ve got it. :slight_smile:

:volcano: Melted my drone for this shot :fire:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMzW24JHaCF

3 Likes

“The Bizarre Behavior of Rotating Bodies, Explained”

4 Likes

@8fledermaus8: The video of Feynman sort of reminded me of Alan Watt’s wiggles.

3 Likes

What a wonderful video! Every aspiring scientist should see it. I especially liked the section on ways of thinking. His time sense experiment was amazing—he discovered something I’ve never even heard of. My mother wasn’t much of a reader, but she loved Feynman’s book, “What Do You Care What Other People Think?” I wish she could have seen this video.

2 Likes

I was going to post this in Cooking videos, but I think it’s worthy of this thread.

I’m a fan of the “catch and cook” genre, which can be summed up as

1. Forage for food, eg. herbs, fish, shellfish, crabs, or in rarer cases game of various kinds
  2. Cook that food

I highly recommend the series (free on youtube!) Wild Food with Ray Mears, which is essentially a professionally-produced catch-and-cook series with an emphasis on proposed Stone Age techniques.

3 Likes

I’m very happy you liked it - it was sincerely touching to learn about your mother. I haven’t ever read his books, but I might, I only know that they are classics. ^^ There are many good videos with/about Feymann on yt. As a complete layman in physics I especially enjoyed his introduction to quantum mechanics. Truly mind-boggling!

3 Likes

This is a lovely channel about wildlife in central Texas - the narrator is great in telling the little stories of the animals going about their lifes in his backyard.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that I know him, lmao, he appeared as Arthur Whane in Jack Kerouac’s The Dharma Bums ^^

1 Like

Traditional home preparation of four Sinhalan New Year’s cookies.

This is a very atmospheric video which really gives one the sense of being there, from the amateur camerawork to the glances into the night-time garden and the banter with the cook in the smoky porch. Even if you’re not into cooking, I recommend giving it a try.

2 Likes

Exploration and explanation of a floating, operational, full-size Greek replica trireme in Athens at the site of the 480 BCE maritime battle against the Persian forces of King Xerxes.

I timestamped the video to his boarding of the ship, but if you watch from the start there is a little more discussion and some exterior shots.

Quick tour of a small Armenian ruin, of an ancient caravan lodge.

1 Like

A short and interesting old documentary video showing a few techniques used in early synth music.

The cables and dials, and the old-school wave displays, produce a sort of tactile experience.

2 Likes

The cherry blossoms are beginning to bloom near me, so I went looking to the Brooklyn botanical garden’s cherry tracker website, and found this relaxing video from last year, I assume when the garden was closed

3 Likes

That’s late, season is almost over here

1 Like