Place to share relaxing and thought-provoking videos

From the travelogue channel Indigo Traveller.

That channel was taken down, probably due to copyright claims by the official Kabuki Kool.

Here’s the same video on the Kabuki Kool channel:

1 Like

This is sort of fascinating. But also eeew.

Not exactly relaxing, but certainly interesting for hobby linguists:

Two brief profiles of my favorite living violinist, Patricia Kopatchinskaja. The first, beautifully human; the second quirky but insightful. I have posted several of her performances in the music thread and have an index with comments on them in my profile.

4 Likes

She’s astonishing. :heart_eyes:

She reminds me of my high school Latin teacher which was very pissed off by my translations.
She used to say: “Each time I don’t know what to do with your tests: you deserve a good note for the fluency in Italian but you also deserve a bad note because you took too many liberties from Latin”.

Luckily for me, she eventually was always giving me good notes. :grin:

Obviously I was no genius comparable with Pat, but that’s what I thought when I first heard her performance: fantastic AND too free.

4 Likes

Glad you appreciate PatKo. Her best performance, I think, is in Beethoven’s Kreutzer Sonata (Music sharing thread. Links only. No chit chat - #523 by Conrad_Melville). She has played that faster than anyone else (with no impairment and a gain in excitement), except Pinchas Zuckerman, who has perhaps equaled her speed. The three knocks against her are her bare feet (obviously related to her sense of freedom; suck it up, critics), her use of sheet music (also done by Richter in old age and by Yuja Wang in difficult modern works like Bartok; the memorization dogma is useful for learning a piece, but it is pointless to stake a performance on it), and her interpretations (she is an anti-romantic and has a deep knowledge of Slavic folk music, which infuses her performances of Bartok and others; her technical prowess is awesome, which means that everything she does is a choice, not a mistake). She is unfailingly exciting and shows more joy in performance than anyone I have ever seen—an exhilarating, life-affirming quality.

2 Likes

(Sorry French only)

1 Like
2 Likes

These days, I rarely watch a 40 minute interview. That’s testament to how interesting I found this one.

The distinction that is appealing is that this defector tries to bring a very balanced approach, eg. noting genuine popular support enjoyed by Kim Jong Un for being more “decisive” than his father, and that the life of the upper classes is actually quite good. He’s also not afraid to criticise the South Korean media culture.

What’s more, I noted that several times he said that he “couldn’t fit everything he wanted to say in a couple of hours” and wanted to present even more nuance, yet the video’s only half that.

4 Likes

This was posted in another thread, where I saw it. It is well worth watching!

Edit: Here is the link: https://forums.online-go.com/t/how-was-your-day-regular/25749/3825

3 Likes

Yeah, I thought I remembered Gia posting it. I guess that was in the lounge though.

as mentioned elsewhere I usually like how Steve approaches his interviews. I find he gives space to the interviewee to color outside the lines, without losing control of the discussion.

Guy in the video started a YT channel and many videos have English subs, but I haven’t found the time to watch yet.

4 Likes

Good youtube suggestions today

Even though Kabuki Kool was taken down (which still hurts), I at least found an hour of a good play. Only the first couple of scenes, mind you.

I just watched this

and I found it to be incredibly thought-provoking.

I can’t wait to see volumes 2 and 3

2 Likes