Planning audio sample updates, put your requests in now

Thanks for the tips! I’ll definitely look into studio time

2 Likes

Is it possible to have different sound profiles to select from?
Also, is it possible to upload sound effects we’ve made using Audacity for this project?

3 Likes

Female counting down in Japanese or Chinese please

4 Likes

It’s certainly a possibility, if there’s good reason to have different profiles it shouldn’t be hard to implement.

Custom sounds is a possibility too if there’s enough interest (or were you thinking of contributions for the official sound set? Which is also a possibility so long as they fit in nicely to the rest of a set)

1 Like

Yep definitely (we’ll have both)

2 Likes

Isn’t it poor form to hold the stone while you’re reading? :stuck_out_tongue:

I for one will be livid if you add this and don’t also give us a nigiri interface for even games :stuck_out_tongue: but in all seriousness I think “game started” being spoken will be much better than any ambiguous sound, as it’s incredibly hard to find the balance of alerting but not annoying but not easily missed.

3 Likes

Quite, I was just figuring it’d be the only time to get that in since once you click you place - so maybe we just don’t have that sound

1 Like

I think avoiding clutter is a good goal to aim for, but as you say… better to have the sound and not need it than to need it one day and not have it… so I guess record all the things, but carefully decide what to introduce :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Personally I would find all this chatter annoying and distracting so I hope it will also be possible to turn the audio off. Even more annoying, I think. is if the voice is like the ones on GPS’s. I do however think the undo request on OGS is not very effective so perhaps in this case it might work but for the rest - a no from me! Being able to talk with audio with your opponent could be a good addition - particularly for reviews or if someone who is a regular opponent for a bit of in game banter.

4 Likes

Yep you’ll certainly be able to turn off voices and effects separately. As for undo requests it’s on the agenda to make that more visual too, such as changing the color of the last stone and making it marked with a question mark, something like that.

4 Likes

That is great and good idea about making the undo request more noticeable - I like the ideas you have shared. OGS is the best platform for games in my opinion great there are ongoing improvements!

3 Likes

Miscellaneous notes from someone who has done some audio and music recording as a hobby:

Real studio time is way overkill for what you need here. A suprising number of professional, officially released recordings have been made in hotel closets stuffed with pillows, including audiobooks and hit pop songs.

If you really want a professional involved, you could hire a recording engineer with a portable setup, so you get the benefit of high-end gear without needing to book the actual studio time, which can run into hundreds of dollars per hour – and it is guaranteed to take longer than you think!

You can get a good deal if you have a connection with an audio engineering student, if you live in a city with a college program of the sort. I had a few songs recorded by a friend, who used one of them for her graduation portfolio, and was happy to let me do anything I wanted with the masters free of charge.

It is also definitely possible to DIY with a simple Zoom recorder. It would take you a bit of time to learn the basic principles and workflow of audio recording. But I absolutely think it’s possible to get good results like this. I took an elective in university on sound production and we were making decent quality interview recordings within the first couple of weeks.

5 Likes

This sounds really cool and fun!
How about a capturing stones sound of placing them in the lid?

Thanks for doing this!

2 Likes

Firstly, welcome to the community! Thanks for stopping by <3
This sounds like a great suggestion :slight_smile: I’m sure anoek is interested in saving both time and money :slight_smile:

this should scale (roughly) with size of group too (1 stone, 2, 3, 5, 10, 20, etc.)

3 Likes

Yep fair enough, I’ll look into hiring a recording engineer too, I didn’t really think to think of that as a thing but it certainly makes a lot of sense. I’m not convinced it is strictly necessary to hire someone, but at the same time I do want these to sound just about as good as they can, so it might be a good thing to do to hire someone who does it for a living!

Any recommendations on models to look into?

1 Like

Yes definitely, thanks! I’ll do multiple samples of putting one in, two in, three in, etc… with other stones in there and without.

3 Likes

I’ve used the H2, H2n, H4n, and H6, and have not noticed any difference in audio quality. They’re all really nice and natural sounding. I can’t remember specifically, some models may have a feature you can toggle for close vs. distant sound sources, which might be nice. But in all most of the differences between them are not in the quality of the recording but extra things like four-channel recording, built-in instrument tuner, SD card support…

2 Likes

I would very much like the ability, once or twice a game, to make a louder than normal stone noise for emphasis of a move.

To initiate this, you would hold down the button to drop the stone for a little longer than normal. The louder stone hit would reset after some number of moves or time… not sure how to moderate that, but you certainly shouldn’t be allowed to do it every move. That would be annoying.

It should definitely sound like a smack on the board… Like Sai just laid down the divine move.

2 Likes

and now the hard part… Please don’t complicate OGS so much that it can’t be run on a phone or laptop with very small download limits.

5 Likes

That’s what I was trying to say with that :slight_smile: Yep I think that’d be a lot of fun.

Absolutely. Although, I should say, no more so than we currently are (I think we are currently notably heavier than I would like) - but I don’t think the audio stuff is going to particularly large in the end, and it’ll be a one time download unlike all the javascript and css we have flying around here that changes every few days.

2 Likes