Starting Bell šŸ›Ž

Hi all,

It looks like the long-awaited audio alert for games starting has arrived! Now those of us who navigate to separate tabs, or who go and read a book, or some such, will be alerted when a game starts. Many of us are much relieved Iā€™m sure.

Unfortunately, the audio chosen for this appears to, well, itā€™s rather unpleasant. Isnā€™t it? I see a few problems with it:

• Itā€™s the bell from a boxing match.
  • Itā€™s really loud compared to the stone sounds. So a normal user will be rather startled by the volume.
  • It goes on for ages.
  • It feels completely out of place.

What sort of tone do we want to set, here? Using the sound from the start of a round of boxing cultivates an unnecessarily combative atmosphere. Itā€™s as if weā€™d lifted the famous Mortal Combat ā€œFight!ā€ sound. It implies violence, and whilst many people might take that sort of approach to the game, others such as myself like to be rather gentler, and we appreciate gentle sounds.

Why not a simple beep? A singing bowl? Or the chime of someone gently tapping a crystal glass? My point is that this is a choice that someone has made. It feels like someone has been slightly lazy with that choice, in a ā€œthis will doā€ sort of way, and I wanted to highlight that in my opinion, no, this will not do.

Letā€™s cultivate a co-operative culture rather than a combative one. Letā€™s change the sound to something gentler.

What do you think? The sound isā€¦

• Perfect! Go is a fight, after all!
  • Needs improvement, but should be aggressive.
  • Needs improvement, but should be gentle.
  • Doesnā€™t matter to me. Iā€™m not bothered.
  • What sound?

0 voters

2 Likes

1 Like

I like the bell.
I didnā€™t like that update wasnā€™t announced. When all updates are behind the scenes it makes it look like server doesnā€™t improve or change.

I think starting sound should be as annoying as possible so you notice it. Soft taps can be easily missed especially when you watch a youtube video. Sharp bell sound is perfect for it. But I understand that people with sensitive ears may not see it this way, and lately stone placement sounds get on my nerve little by little. Perfect solution would be sound customization of some sort, but itā€™s a big thing to implement.

I donā€™t really get the point of ā€œviolentā€ vs ā€œsoftā€ approach because of a starting bell. Sounds analogous to ā€œvideogames make people violentā€ argument.
(And after all, isnā€™t OGS the most passive server? Maybe bell will wake up fighting spirit in people)

So I guess Iā€™ll go with aggressive option. Not because of some kind of underlying meaning behind it, but because soft sound is easy to miss, good example from @Kungfu_Panda, unless itā€™s super loud Iā€™m not going to notice it.

This is clearly wrong. If the sound was as annoying as possible then Iā€™d play on a different Go server. One without the annoying sounds.

Oh, yeah, I used wrong words. ā€œSharp and distinct enough to noticeā€ would be better.

Yes, understood. However sharp and distinct does not require an aggressive sound, nor does it preclude a gentle sound.

A cursory search yielded this beep, for example;

Just for the record the whole thing was discussed and ā€œannouncedā€ in a dedicated thread.

But I see your point. I donā€™t think these changes are interesting (not the right word, but you get meā€¦) enough to clutter the announcement banners with them, but next time something new and ā€œmajorā€ comes up, we might start sort of a ā€œnew featuresā€ thread? Would that be a good compromise? (sorry for offtopicing, I will split it if it gets too confusing)

Iā€™m kinda with you on wanting a less bracing sound, though Iā€™ll definitely take anything over nothing. But sound is subjective, and I find the tone beep really piercing and uncomfortable, whereas the fight bells are kind of funny given their association with boxing, but not uncomfortable. The ability to choose between different sounds would be cool.

I feel like the alternatives offered by @Kungfu_Panda and @Farraway are both too gentle and something I could easily filter out while browsing other tabs, thus defeating the purpose of having an announcement. I havenā€™t personally heard the boxing bells yet but I imagine they would probably be on par with KGS which made me jump through the roof the first time but after I knew what they were, they were fine.

2 Likes

These were just examples after a brief search. For example, having invested another 30 seconds, I discovered this one:

My suggestion is not that these beeps should be adopted, but that given some thought and some time a really good sound could be selected.

Subjective much? What about the people that think a really good sound has already been selected?

I am not especially motivated to change the bell sound.

As I was implementing this I asked what sound would be appropriate, and the only answer I got was a stupid joke.

There could have been an option for the user to chose from a selection.

Right. The beginning of a contest, a match. Sound appropriate to me.

Well - turn it down then.

I searched hard for the sound I thought was the best I could find. That was it. I was really pleased with it. Then I thought ā€œwell, you canā€™t please everyoneā€, so I asksd. The only answer was a joke.

So you get what you get.

GaJ

I am appreciative of all the hard work you do for the site GaJ <3 maybe if Farraway has some ideas for alternative options he can submit a pull request of his own :wink:

1 Like

Heā€™s too lazy to even find the volume controlā€¦ I donā€™t see pull request comingā€¦

2 Likes

Adam even linked to your link to the volume control in this very thread lol

It could be hard to time the announcement properly, because only @anoek knows when it gets deployed.

For example, if I understand correctly, it was back at the end of the thread you quoted that the PR was merged, which is a visible event, but it wasnā€™t until very recently that it was deployed, which is not visible to anyone except by its effects.

So thatā€™d have to be something @anoek himself takes care of?

1 Like

Perhaps I deserve that. I feel as if my intentions have been rather misjudged. Nonetheless, it was unfair of me to assume that you hadnā€™t invested time in selecting the sound and I can see why I might have seemed hyper critical or dismissive of your efforts. Iā€™m sorry.

5 Likes

I think you certainly did deserve it :slight_smile:

[ vent deleted by GaJ. Suffice to say I was quite taken aback to be described as ā€œlazyā€ ]

But, in the face of your apology, and the opportunity to vent (now no longer needed) :slight_smile: I have become remotivated. You guys make a selection of sounds, Iā€™ll put a choice in, weā€™ll see if anoek accepts it.

GaJ

5 Likes

I like the present sound. Besides liking bells generally, there is a quality to their sound which ā€˜cuts throughā€™ the audio trash we sometimes find ourselves surrounded with better than almost anything else. Except for a chime, maybe?

2 Likes

ā€œWill this cut throughā€ was on my mind when I chose it.

However, I think that the question has changed from ā€œshould we change the soundā€ to ā€œwhat selection of choices would we likeā€.

GaJ