Starting Bell šŸ›Ž

Why we even need sound?
Year ago there was system where tab with started game force-opened automatically. After one of updates it stopped working. Why not bring it back?

Well, if weā€™re suggesting sounds, I like this one. Itā€™s noticeable, but ā€œcalmerā€ than the current bell.

1 Like

Isnā€™t that the message tone for Steam?

I looked into that, I donā€™t think modern browsers allow tabs to force themselves into focus.

But if itā€™s possible, Iā€™d be happy to do it.

That said, you might want to know the game started, but chose exactly when you stop doing what youā€™re doing to go look at it. Hence a sound.

2 Likes

I would also strongly dislike the tab to refocus itself while Iā€™m doing something else.

6 Likes

This is perhaps a little late to the party, but what about (some approximation to) the sound of stones being shuffled around in a bowl? Thatā€™s pleasant enough and Go-related, but also hopefully noticeable even if you have other audio playing.

2 Likes

I would also like to make a suggestion:

maybe we could keep a bell, but maybe not one thatā€™s quite as strident as this one.

Maybe something like the opening seconds of this (but maybe a little bit louder):

For a better, more usable sound file, I would recommend this one (which the author says is free to use:

2 Likes

Iā€™m curious: are people finding this strident only because they donā€™t know how to turn down the volume of it?

Iā€™m pretty sure if you turn down the volume of nails on a chalkboard, itā€™s still just as painful to listen to.

1 Like

Itā€™s bizarre how easily people here manage to get up my nose. Iā€™m not usually quick to offence, but this place seriously gives me the shits quite oftenā€¦ what is it about Go players that they have to take shots all the time?

I didnā€™t mean to take a shot. Iā€™m just used to making a crack like that, sorry if it came across as harsh.

But yeah, the stridency isnā€™t because of the volume (for the most part), the actual striking of the bell is just not pleasant by any means, and I even suggested a slightly less strident bell that could still be surprising at a high volume without being strident.

1 Like

I very rarely play live, so Iā€™m not very concerned, but Iā€™d like to spend my two cents.

I donā€™t feel the sound as strident nor aggressive, but since we play an ancient eastern game why not a more eastern bell?

It should catch attention, I believe. :slight_smile:

I also like the chinese bell posted by mekriff

This has been my favourite so far.

Yes, that one is very nice.

1 Like

any news on this? i think a simple beep noise similar to (but not the same as) the ā€œgame overā€ sound we already have would be nice. the option to choose between different sounds would be even better!

I said:

Since then very little happened.

GaJ

2 Likes

Copyright not withstanding: Jodie Foster from ā€˜Contactā€™ā€¦ā€œOk to Goā€. :slight_smile:

Edit: Shame on me for not instantly thinking of this one:

and I have no idea if the following suggestion is front-end, back-end, easy, hard or impossible but is it plausible/worthwhile allowing people to attach/select their own sound file somehow, like a ring-tone?

1 Like

My gut reaction says that since settings are stored locally as a cookie, they should be able to point to local filesā€¦ And since it doesnā€™t need the server should be as front end as any other implementationā€¦ But I have no personal experience with the ogs code

1 Like