Planning audio sample updates, put your requests in now

Yes definitely, thanks! I’ll do multiple samples of putting one in, two in, three in, etc… with other stones in there and without.

3 Likes

I’ve used the H2, H2n, H4n, and H6, and have not noticed any difference in audio quality. They’re all really nice and natural sounding. I can’t remember specifically, some models may have a feature you can toggle for close vs. distant sound sources, which might be nice. But in all most of the differences between them are not in the quality of the recording but extra things like four-channel recording, built-in instrument tuner, SD card support…

2 Likes

I would very much like the ability, once or twice a game, to make a louder than normal stone noise for emphasis of a move.

To initiate this, you would hold down the button to drop the stone for a little longer than normal. The louder stone hit would reset after some number of moves or time… not sure how to moderate that, but you certainly shouldn’t be allowed to do it every move. That would be annoying.

It should definitely sound like a smack on the board… Like Sai just laid down the divine move.

2 Likes

and now the hard part… Please don’t complicate OGS so much that it can’t be run on a phone or laptop with very small download limits.

5 Likes

That’s what I was trying to say with that :slight_smile: Yep I think that’d be a lot of fun.

Absolutely. Although, I should say, no more so than we currently are (I think we are currently notably heavier than I would like) - but I don’t think the audio stuff is going to particularly large in the end, and it’ll be a one time download unlike all the javascript and css we have flying around here that changes every few days.

2 Likes

It would be amazing to have a celebratory sound for winning a game. I think it would go a long way towards helping new players stick with the game. If you look at all the super successful iphone game apps, they overload you with dopamine hits by constantly telling you that you did something good and it works. Obviously I don’t think we should go that far but giving the user a little celebratory sound when you win could go a long way.

6 Likes

If I have a suggestion, it’s to change the game-starting sound. Right now it sounds like some sort of instant messenger notification, which is gentler and less jarring than the previous “ding-ding!”, but sometimes I can barely hear it (especially if I have music on). Maybe some options to customize that particular sound (and others) would be helpful too.

Other than that, I really appreciate the simplicity of the sounds. It really gives the website a zen-like feeling.

3 Likes

I would love this feature hahaha I dont understand the reason to bother yourselves with neighbors sound effect. IGS has a sound that is closer to accurate, or at least not as sharp as OGS.

Reaching in the bowl could let some know the turn is now theirs to take. And help for pull hard of hearing or muted the stone clack sound. (Idk if you make this feature happen otp but my music volume goes down when a stone its placed.)

With so voiced you should bring accents. If possible use some sounds from hikaru no go :wink: I’m slow so I cant remember all your ideas but they sounded great for OGS’s appeal. As long as they are all customizable in the users settings. Maybe the spot where you change board visuals? This idea being one from the type of wood vs the sound made. XD but that asks you to make extra visuals, and keeping a stone for that random table made of dogwood recording you need! :joy:

Thanks for the hitting the users up for Ideas, OGS had a lil buzz in the Go community when the review feature dropped.

2 Likes

I think it’s worth stating that countdown language should default to site language, but still be changeable. For instance, if my site language is changed to Chinese, voice should follow it, but it should still be possible to change voice so that it is different (Eg. Chinese text and Japanese/English/whatever voice)

2 Likes

Please make these sound options optional. I personally very much enjoy the minimalist/clean design.

I think this is a wonderful idea for the site and a good step forward - I just happen to REALLY enjoy the minimalist approach and hope that will still be available in some form. The more options the better (even if they have to be hidden behind an “advanced options tab”.

6 Likes

Two thoughts here:

1 - I’d advice to give users options to configure which sounds they would like to hear and which not. A lot of sounds can get annoying and distracting.

2 - With things like these it is very easy to go overboard and gimmicky. I think that low-key, simple and informative is a way to go.

ad: NOT REAL SUGGESTION PLEASE DON’T DO THIS: You could also include samples and virtual of infamous ING clock :rofl:

2 Likes

This is a really cool idea and thank you for doing this. I really like the “Undo requested” and agree with the others to make it easier to also see it as you and @nowhereman2 talked about.
An idea for when new people make an account and want to do a tutorial they can also hear the rules while also actually doing the moves instead of just reading them.

1 Like

I find interesting @Majestic_Corgi’s suggestion of recording the rules, although this would require choosing official texts for each rule set, and greatly multiply the storage requirements for each language’s audio.

You may wish to record the letters and numbers used for coordinates, in case a player wishes to practice the blind game.

Suggestions for recordings only to be made if your good fortunes allow for great investment in skeumorphics:

1. You may wish to record a few samples of the stone sliding across short distances (say, up to komi points) after being placed, an effect necessary only when placing one in a spot tricky to reach due to a crowded vicinity.
  2. You may wish to record the stone placement sound at different regions of the board, since the echo of placement close to the edge is markedly different from that of the central region.
1 Like

That sounds like something that might take up more memory and computing time on weaker devices and make OGS less acessible as a result. If at all implemented there should be some lowmem alternative that would start automatically on those.

1 Like

“Hey beautiful!” - “Excuse me?” - “Certainly! 10まで数えてください。” :rofl:

You know, @anoek, OGS could easily become the most popular Go server; all we have to do is to implement a way for users to save custom sounds (or at least paths to their own sound files). Sounds silly, but people love customization. If they can have, say, Obama do the countdown, Owen Wilson to marvel at their opponent’s reconnection or have Danny Glover remind them that it’s their move… there’ll be no stopping us. xD

6 Likes

The H2 is kind of “noisy”, though some of that can be edited away. The “n” models seem to generally be better. I eventually settled for a H6 some years ago (and then barely used it). Today, I would probably go for the Sony PCM-D100, but I’m not sure you need something quite as expensive, especially if you have an iPad or an iPhone plus an inexpensive audio interface and a couple Chinese mics, which can be of surprisingly good quality relative to what they cost.

What devices will people use to listen to those sounds? Likely, most of them will hear them through phone, tablet, or laptop speakers, none of which produce good or nuanced sound. There are the audiophiles with monitors or hifi sound systems, but in general the sound quality of the samples probably doesn’t need to be all that high quality. You’d also have to consider the recording environment if you are aiming for high quality. Overall, a studio time may end up being cheaper.

A bigger challenge may be finding the voice actors, if you aim for real voices instead of synthetic ones. If you go with volunteers, they’ll be using their own audio equipment with probably mixed results.

All of that said, I look forward to the new sounds! Especially having different sounds for stones based on their proximity to other stones/etc. is quite intriguing. Great idea! :slight_smile:

1 Like

wow, with just 5 hours earlier I wrote about that I saw a video with the same countdown as OGS uses.

Did this influenced you to make the upgrade? :slight_smile: , even you were thinking at it for some time already. If not, quite a coincidence :slight_smile:

This seems a good idea, even I am mostly satisfied with actual sounds anyway. But some improvements will be really useful, like:

• List item a sound for when you did not pressed the submit button. I mean a repeating sound till you move. I often forget to submit the move.

• List item The same for undo requested, as some already mentioned. (And since we talk about undo, which is a sensitive subject… I think that for the moves with submit button undo should be deactivated, since the miss-click is eliminated, and for the rest of submitting options, the undo button should be active only three or four seconds, if the game is rated. For unrated or demo games can be free. )

• List item Also, sounds for start the game which seems to already exist but not always works. Too often my game starts, but I am in different tab or browser, and lose the game.

3 Likes

I agree that Fox and Tygem currently have a more intuitive countdown. After the recent fix to the “SD” display, a better countdown voice is definitely on the top of the list of the things that would make OGS really great.

More related issues:

• Do not count down the base time (or make it a config option)
  • People who play a lot of blitz games may wish to configure the countdown e.g. to start at “3” instead of “10” – or disable the countdown for the first X byo-yomi periods – or only read “n countdowns left” but don’t read the seconds.
  • A special countdown mode for Canadian byo-yomi
2 Likes

No it’s been about a week that I’ve been seriously mulling finally doing this, and I was just sitting down to write the first draft of the post when I saw yours, quite the coincidence!

3 Likes

Any recommendations?