Player ID #1,000,000 coming soon

Probably so, but it is not as funny.

What’s the Thai bot? A spammer?

Periodically, we get large groups of registrations from Thailand. Some may be a spam bot, but I’m not sure. I suspect it is one or more schools or clubs, but why quibble? @BHydden’s point was valid. However, there is a definite Polish spam bot that creates even more accounts, and would probably be the most likely individual entity to claim the gold. But I think that’s getting pretty dull.

5 Likes

That’s the one I meant :stuck_out_tongue: polish not Thai, my bad haha

1 Like

Makes heaps of accounts and doesn’t play any games, just posts links to online shops, but we found a way to fix that last part so they’re mostly harmless now

3 Likes

Never too late to thanks OGS for the efficiency vs that kind of pollution

8 Likes

(/ 1.0 (log 1000000))

1 Like

Please guys, how much is that (/ 1.0 (log 1000000))?
It was 45 years ago that I learned about natural logarithms.
Help me.
:crazy_face:

1 Like

What @MrEntropy wrote is actually valid Lisp code that is equivalent to the expression 1.0 / log(1000000) in other languages.

Approximately, 0.0724 (assuming natural logarithm)

3 Likes

I really love Lisp, I must say.

Common Lisp was the specific dialect I learnt, which I guess is a bit old-fashioned next to Scheme.

Usually called Polish notation.

The nice thing is that you don’t even need brackets

5 Likes

Made a new account and it happened to be another prime (985417).

3 Likes

Lisp is a speech defect. :crazy_face:

1 Like

After all these years I still remember the last part of the first larger lisp program I wrote:

)))))))))))))))))))))))

And I still don’t see any way I could have improved it.

6 Likes

It’s a feature not a bug!

There have been many backronyms suggested for LISP

• Lost In a Sea of Parentheses
  • Lots of Irritating Superfluous Parentheses
  • Loads of Incoherent Single Parentheses
5 Likes

Wow, you just made an valid suggestion. If this fad catches on, anoek can contact those with low number IDs, if they include an email Use some legal reason to prove that they are still interested in the account. And if not, than can sell those accounts, eventually with bidding. Funny way to support the server :slight_smile:

I have a 5 digits myself. So when OGS will reach a billion users it might worth something. :slight_smile:

Funny thing, 14 months ago I have wrote an article related to this subject. And I wondered about the moment of one million players. I guessed that will be a year, or two. So I was in the right range :slight_smile:

Anyway, this thread slipped well into numerology. I wonder about what hidden meanings are in the numbers of those present on the leaderboard. Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS.

1 Like

We probably have half of that in terms of people who played even one ranked game, and like fifth of that in terms of people who got a rank.

Perhaps you could confirm or refute that hypothesis with a script. You don’t have to check all of them, of course, since just enough random sampling will give a good enough approximation of the fraction.

2 Likes

We hit #990,000 yesterday (depending on one’s timezone).

We’re down to the last 10,000 six-figure IDs now.

1 Like

how do we have near a million players
(lets say divided so theres around 5% of that i would say is a fair assumption)
and yet so few chats in things?