Playing a Forum Game: "Werewolf" (aka "Mafia")

Rules of the First Game

Players will be divided into three factions: “villagers”, “werewolves” and “lunatics”. For a game with 7 or 8 players, there will be two werewolves and one lunatic. The rest will be villagers.

Each player will be told which team they are on. The werewolves will also be told who else is a werewolf and who the lunatic is. Additionally, one villager will be selected as the “seer” and another villager will be selected as the “protector”. They will be privately told about their special roles. Otherwise, the assignment of the affiliations and roles will be secret, although a player may reveal it and other information related to it during the public discussion.

I will set up a game thread to manage the public discussion. The werewolves will also get a private group message that they can use to discuss during the night phase. I will converse with the seer and protector via private message to handle their special roles.

The game cycles between day and night phases. Each phase will last 48 hours.

During the day phase:

• Public discussion is allowed between all of the players, but it must only occur within the game thread that I will set up. Discussion of the game over any other channels is not allowed.
  • Every player can cast a vote to eliminate a player or to not eliminate any one. A player may vote for their self.
  • A player is eliminated at the end of the day if they received a strict plurality of the votes, otherwise, no one is eliminated.

During the night phase:

• Public discussion is not allowed. The game thread should be silent during the night phase, except for logistical notices.
  • For most villagers that do not have a special role, that means they are essentially inactive during the night phase.
  • The werewolves may discuss who they wish to eliminate in their private thread, and will cast votes on which player they wish to eliminate or if they want to forgo elimination. A player is eliminated at the end of the night if they received a strict plurality of the votes, otherwise, no one is eliminated.
  • The seer is allowed to choose one player to investigate during each night phase. They will tell their choice to me (via our private message) and I will privately reveal the affiliation of that player to the seer.
  • The protector is allowed to select one player (possibly their self) to protect during each night phase. If that player was selected by the werewolves, then their elimination is cancelled and both the werewolves, that player, and the protector are notified about what happened. If that player was not selected, then that player and werewolves are not notified, and the protector is only told that their selection was not targeted. The protector may not protect the same person on consecutive nights.

When a player is eliminated, that player leaves the game and must not attempt to influence the game any further by any means. Upon elimination, I will also reveal the player’s true affiliation and whether they had a special role.

The game continues until:

1. All werewolves are eliminated. The villagers win, and everyone else loses.
  2. A lunatic is eliminated. The lunatics win, and everyone else loses.
  3. The number of werewolves is equal to or greater than the non-werewolf players. The werewolves win and everyone else loses.

Condition 2 takes precedence over condition 3.

5 Likes