Playing against people

I have been playing regularly for a couple of weeks now. And do see improvement I am also using some of the learning apps on my phone etc. My question is this, how or when do I know I am ready to play a real player and not just a bot? obviously I don’t want to waste anyone’s time with games that might actually border on the ridiculous (actually possible for me on a bad day lol) Also what are the best phone apps? I don’t really trust the play store ratings. Thanks in Advance

3 Likes

You are ready to play against a real player. There are people of all skill ranges here on OGS, and playing real people will avoid picking up bad habits from bots.

I’d recommend playing ranked from the beginning. OGS uses glicko-2, which is quite good at quickly adjusting to your strength. So when you start to improve, your rating will rise almost as quickly: you don’t need to worry about killing your rating by losing at first. But it doesn’t really matter as long as you’re playing.

7 Likes

TBH i think its better to start with playing other humans than it is to play with bots. When you play with humans, you can always ask tips and reviews after the game, most players are willing and eager to use 5 minutes after the game for giving advices to beginners. Never be afraid of asking a review from stronger opponent ^^

6 Likes

Depends on what you are looking for, but there is not THAT many.

Personally I mostly use:
For bot play:

For tsumego: (but I would NOT recommend this one for a beginner. Even the “easiest” problems are still pretty hard)

3 Likes

I use both and you are right the first one is awesome but the second one is hard for me although the more I play the easier it gets. Thanks for taking time out for my question.

1 Like

Thanks I will keep your words in mind.

You are, right now. :slightly_smiling_face:
Don’t be afraid of human players. The idea is intimidating only until you just try. Then you’ll feel fine, don’t worry.

Well, sometimes you can possibly meet some jerk, you know, but usually they are nice people.
Just remember to greet them when the game starts and to thank them when it’s over.

Also what are the best phone apps?

My advice to very beginners is “Go free” (Android) since it lets you take back your moves. It’s something I found very instructive at the beginnings because I was able to see how AI would answer to all my possible moves and then understand whose of them were mistakes and why.
This is something you just can’t do here on OGS.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t really start with bots either because iirc on the lower levels they tend to either play some bizzare moves (which a new player might mistake for “quite good”) or they sometimes give up on a life and death problem that they can actually win (thus losing groups for not much of a real reason).

Play real humans and ranked games from the start and see how they play and how they react. Do not worry about ranks. Getting a better rank will come naturally. Just focus on enjoying the game and interacting with real players. A lot of people if you ask them for tips or “why did you play that move” they will respond and give explanations and/or variations.

Have fun! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well, it started as a game between humans. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m not against playing bots, but in my book, even if someone reaches 9d only playing AI, they are not a real real go player.

What I’m trying to say is, you were ready as soon as you decided you want to try go.

3 Likes

Spectate a few games around your level or go through finished games - If you’re noticing mistakes, that’s a good sign you’re ready to play and not make those yourself.

1 Like

I also found this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bdapp.badukmosueng, but I can’t tell if it’s easy enough for a beginner.
I had also tried Tsumego pro, I might say it was an important reason I stay away from tsumego.

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement I will start playing against people first thing tomorrow. I’m sure i’m not gonna be the first player that completely sucks, but I feel like i’ll never get better playing against a bot cuz it’s just no fun and whats the point if you’re not having fun!

4 Likes

As soon as u like! Have fun! Find another new player about your strength and have fun playing!! Experiment, make mistakes, take stones, learn. Win some lose some. Make friends…

Enjoy!

3 Likes

It’s best to play with human at starter, bots don’t know how to troll or sandbag or ragequit! :sweat_smile:

In my case I started by reading the rulebook and then grab a classmate to play quick games during breaks. It was lucky that later in highschool one of my classmate is a better player and he rap-I mean-taught me a lot.

Low level bots don’t play in a human-reasonable sense and thus won’t help you much, or even at all.

There are many new players online, I have started playing online since 20-ish kyu and met many real person with equal strength, it is much more fun than playing bots :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I still found it pretty trolling when kata-bot kept playing after I tried to pass multiple times and their moves didn’t always seem to have meaning, especially after they killed all of my pieces.

4 Likes

LOL that’s funny, I gotta get trolled if im gonna learn right?

1 Like