Playing Go in Movies and TV-Shows (pictures)

Is this the one?

I think, I can’t see too well, that the guy on the left is moving his stone (pawn?) one move forwards in that brief shot, so after the move there are two stones side by side.
He also has a couple of stones in front of him when the camera catches them, but he almost immediately moves his hand in front, so I couldn’t see.
I’m not sure it’s Go.

5 Likes

Ah, this makes sense! Now that you mentioned it, I can actually see the telltale diagonal lines on the board.

3 Likes

100% it’s xiangqi, I may see one of the characters written on top of a piece with a close look.

6 Likes

what about some music videos with Go?

telekinetic Go:

in Go club, some of the boards are gomoku:

Go book included:

real Jackie Chan himself:

8 Likes

I loaded up Steam, and this game was on their recommendation screen, featuring two guys playing go:

Doesn’t look like the game itself features Go, as far as I can see…

10 Likes

screenshot without graphic’s glitch:

14 Likes

There’s a Go board featured at the start of the first episode of the K-drama Reply 1988.

I can’t be bothered to go and take a pic, but it’s on Netflix.

4 Likes

Chinese animation

Xie Wang Zhui Qi
邪王追妻
The Demonic King Who Chases His Wife
(2nd Season 第二季)

8 Likes

Here’s another one from Cyberpunk 2077. It has the grid glitch, but I tried coming there twice from different saves, and it was still there, so I wasn’t even sure it’s a glitch until I saw @stone.defender’s post with the normal board. Game position seems the same, even though location/gig is different. Would be curious to check if it’s a position from some recorded game.

4 Likes

Would be curious to know if they glued the stones to the board! :smile:

It wouldn’t be so strange for a gig.

1 Like

I had watched the whole series and did not remember that one, granted I wasn’t aware of Go back then. I was reminded of this by a YT comment.

In Teen Wolf, Stiles and the Nogitsune are playing Go, while Stiles is trapped in his own mind or sth.

I can’t seem to find a good frame of the game, for a split second in timestamp

EDIT: I found the whole scene, timestamp

5 Likes

There’s no goban in sight and they call it chess, but that’s a Go player.

4 Likes

At the beginning of the season 4 of the tv show Blindspot, one of the character called Rich Dot Com (R. D. C.) is trying to buy information from a crime boss from Toyko, and she asked him to play a game of Go

Although Aiko(the crime boss) said it’s an unusual opening, there is nothing wrong with 3-4(maybe a little disrespectful started at the lower right). But from the side profile picture, the fuseki is indeed “unusual” (although doesn’t look like the same game, with black 3-4 missing).

The “end result” is certainly not “normal”, and white has two more stones on the board. This shouldn’t have happened unless black passed twice and it’s black’s turn. Or 5 black stones got captured in the upper part of the “R”, and white passed twice, and it’s white’s turn now. If it is the latter case, the game at this stage is actually pretty close (however unlikely to happen still makes more sense for white to give black handicap), with mostly just yose left.

Also, Aiko said she was winning, and if she indeed gave 2 handicap, and end up with this, than she is indeed much stronger and have a higher chance to win it.

9 Likes

I was wondering if you could capture and recapture, like inside the D to have the fair amount of stones on the board.

Oh wait isn’t the 2 stones more the handicap stones?
(Free placing of course i don’t see 2 hoshi)

Another thing I noticed they should use korean board with chinese stones it’s surely best compromise for being looking good at low price but but… The stones don’t fit on the board.

1 Like

Capture and recapture in “D”, only make more black stones being captured by white than just 5 in “R”, The most I can think of is 3 white stones captured inside twice with 10 black stones willingly be re-capture. And white has to pass 4 times with the next turn for black.

And it does make sense for black to get free placed handicap stones. However, in the profile shot from the side, we don’t see them. But again, it doesn’t even match with the first black stone placed.

The prop department probably took the expensive ones home and think the viewers wouldn’t be able to tell. Also, there is a sound effect when they place the stones, and it sounds wrong like someone held a piece hard and hit it, instead of placing it.

1 Like

Yep we could imagine they didn’t play any game but for some “let’s be realistic” reason they lay down the position by playing moves, alternating colors. And done by some go players trying to figure how to make it look real.

A close-up shot of the bowl and the stones they used

A close-up shot for placing stones. The actress plays white knows how to place a stone, but the actor plays black doesn’t seem to. And those stones look like are from a completely different set.

6 Likes

Yes the black look like the cheapest you can find. Maybe they lost a box of them and bought quickly new ones

Sanjuro (1962)
well it’s not being played but Toshiro Mifune’s character is sleeping on a goban:

this scene can be watched here in a compilation video

10 Likes