Please adjust my rank

Hello,
can you please change my rank to 12 kyo?

I only played handicap games against friends the last years.
In offline tournaments my rank is 12 kyo.

If you play a couple of ranked games, your rank will adjust automatically. It goes quite fast if you play blitz games.

When I took a break a while back, I had to resign about 15 games, which brought me from 5k to 10k, so that should give an estimate to how long it will take.

1 Like

We cannot adjust your rank, but we do not need to! The system will take care of it very quickly on its own.
If you feel like your rank is way off from what it should be, all you need to do is play a few ranked games (preferably live, to make it quick) and it will quickly settle. If you really are in a hurry challenge a stronger player if you want your rank to grow quickly or a slightly weaker player to adjust in the opposite direction (use custom game to create a rank restricted challenge).

If your rank reads “?” instead of a number you just have not played enough games for our system to be able to rank you with any confidence. The solution is the same. Just play some ranked games (usually about 5 are needed).

But do not obsess too much about it! This is a problem that will solve itself.

Quote from: FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

4 Likes

Just play some ranked games, the OGS rating system adjusts really quickly when compared to other servers. And our rating system also retroactively fixes the ratings of your opponents too when they play more games, so there is no need to worry about “hurting” your opponents ratings.

2 Likes

Worth mentioning that 9x9 ranked games count the same as 19x19 so if your rank is wildly off just play a few live 9x9 and then play whatever you like for final adjustments.

Also, regardless of your current rank, you can use the ‘create custom game’ option to play against those you feel will give you an even game.

3 Likes

Are you sure? I was under the impression they were weighted differently…

1 Like

Yes, there aren’t different weights for different games.

4 Likes

Thanks for clarifying, my mistake I guess.

2 Likes

They ARE ranked separately :wink:

1 Like

Hehe, it is confusing :grinning: let me try and summarize.

They are ranked separately, but contribute equally to the overall rating.

3 Likes

I think that what BHydden was trying to say is that the games are calculated differently, in terms of how much they contribute to your overall rank. Thanks to @AdamR for addressing that aspect. When you said “weights” it made me think of Leela Zero and Go AI :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

1 Like

Yes lol thanks all. Indeed, I incorrectly believed that they had scaled impact on overall rating rather than equal which has been established here.
The sub-ratings are purely informational, they serve no functional purpose.

1 Like

If it eases a bit, this belief was correct when ogs still had elo-system and one rating. Back then 13x13 and 9x9 were weighted on 50% and 25% of what a 19x19 impacted toward your rating.

4 Likes

Thanks yeah that must be what I was thinking of lol

1 Like