Please cap the number of correspondence tournaments users can join

Even more: fast paced Round Robin! :smiley:

3 Likes

In talking about what format is best, what about double elimination (like a knockout, but the losers get a chance to come back into the main tournament by competing in a secondary one)?

If you had, say, an eight-player cap then no player would have to play more than four games (and whatā€™s more, youā€™d have a definite winner at the end.) And it would be even better scaled up: you could do one with sixteen initial players and only five games, or 32 players and only six.

1 Like

Is there an option for tournaments to disable vacation times?

I second that question. Iā€™ve already been working on ways to make faster correspondence games and that option would be very handy.

1 Like

The 1-13-2018 Weekly McMahon tournament has been waiting for months for one 20 k player to finish one game. This player (kalear) is already disqualified, times out on almost all of his games, has lost every game in this tournament, and seems to be on permanent pause. He is probably unaware that he is holding everything up. A simple solution to this kind of abuse is to give the tournament organizer(s) authority to monitor the action, to contact offending players, and to kick them out of the tournament if they donā€™t shape up.

2 Likes

@klaus38, pls notify some moderator of this fact (just not me as Iā€™m currently on the road)

1 Like

@klaus38 done!

We couldā€™ve solved this earlier if 1) someone reported it to us mods on the site; or 2) someone would ask those three opponents to unpause those games and let him timeout.

Let me share my little reflexion about this.

Some OGS users donā€™t give the report to a mod tool enough importance.

Also, some OGS users donā€™t use the pausing tool the way itā€™s supposed to (the attitude of what the heck, Iā€™ll let him finish the game anytime he wants is very cool, but not so much when youā€™re making a tournament getting stuck).

Same happens (and have happened a trillion times) with many other tools: game chat, site chat, scoring, score estimator, direct challenges, custom challenges, custom tournaments, etc, etc, etc.

We donā€™t only have the task of improving our Go knowledge and technique, we can also add our two cents as members of the community by improving these living together aspects.

Okay, done with the annoying sermons. Salut! :beers:

6 Likes

Itā€™s good to call this out, I donā€™t think to use the moderator option unless the case is extreme. I feel a bit silly making a fuss, so I appreciate the reminder that thatā€™s what itā€™s made for! :relaxed:

2 Likes

Thank you. Now for a new problem: the second round of this tournament has started with many matches being initiated in triplicate. This seems messed up. The round should be restarted, in my opinion.

1 Like

Sure, that would be ideal, but sadly itā€™s not possible :confused:

You can cancel all the games but those that are linked from the tournament page. If you cannot cancel by now and have to resign, let me know and Iā€™ll annull them.

1 Like

Iā€™ve resigned a bunch of duplicated games on this ā€œtournamentā€. Most of these already had a few moves, and were not annulled. As a result, my ranking has dropped from 5.6 k to 8.0 k. I donā€™t care that much, but it would be nice if you could correct this. Regards and thanks for your help.

1 Like

I have annulled the aforementioned games and sorry about the trouble :frowning:

3 Likes

Stuff happens. Thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks, adamR,
.since you annulled my games, I have won five straight, but my rating has not changed. Is there some setting that you changed which is causing this?
I would like to enjoy the fruits of my victories as long as they last.

1 Like

Hello, rest assured I did nothing evil to your profile :slight_smile:

out of the five victories, one was annulled automatically because only one move was played. The other resignation counted normally and was reflected in your rating AFAI can see.

Unfortunately the last three games were a streak of bad luck. They were all games that ended by timeout against opponents that are timing out all their games (you can check their profile - most probably they just stopped playing, are otherwise occupied during holidy, or forgot to set vacation). In this case we have a (hated by many) backup rule that kicks in and voids those victories, because they are often undeserved and could skew many ratings.

I get that it is super disappointing and am sorry, but in all honesty those games (apart from the last one) were barely even out of fuseki, and you probably would not even call them victories yourselfā€¦

So - bottom line, your profile is fine and will grow in rank, just a bit of bad luck :frowning:

6 Likes

Thanks for the explanation[quote=ā€œAdamR, post:54, topic:17283ā€]
timeout
[/quote]

Hi AdamR: Thanks for helping me understand the byzantine procedures os OGS. I am slowly catching on. I have two new questions: 1)It doesnā€™t seem that that those who time out after games are well underway, leaving their opponents high and dry, are in any way penalized. E.g., in one of the cases we are discussing, a player timed out of dozens of in-progress games, but his rank stayed at 3 kyu. I see the point of not awarding victory when the game is only 30 or 40 moves along, but at the very least the perpetrators should be awarded a loss. 2) Since becoming active on this site, I have had to learn everything the hard way. Is there any place on the site that documents all of these policies/procedures?

Thanks for being so helpful. Klaus38

From my point of view ranks are just for measuring relative strength, which is then used in obvious way. It has nothing to do with rewarding or penalizing at all. (I know that one can look at that differently, hence Iā€™m consciously not stating this as a fact, just as my perspective.)

5 Likes

I think that is very well said.

To elaborate:
The ranks serve as a means to provide an equal game. Letā€™s say the player just forgot to enable vacation and left. If we awarded negative points for each and every game he lost, he would be crushed way below 20k. But that would not reflect his/her skill. Now he/she would have to play 10-15 games to climb back to his actuall rank. Those players he would play would feel cheated, because they would be completely crushed by what was supposed to be an equal opponent and he too would feel bad and bored, because those games would provide no challenge. That would not be fair to either of them. And now his/her opponents would lose rank unjustly, because he/she was actually stronger than the rank next to his name.

Furthermore (and now I am kind of talking a little bit above my understanding), but I think I will make sense. We cannot introduce a way for one player to lose rank without other gaining it. That would in time completely crush the whole ranking system, because ranks would be slowly getting worse and worse :slight_smile:

And I do not even really want to ā€œpunishā€ people. It is a game, and we want everyone to have as much fun as possible. If they just stopped playing altogether there would be no sense in punishing them. If they forgot to set vacation well thatā€™s silly, but to completely destroy their account because of it seems rather mean.

That said if we see someone misusing timeouts or just ragequitting and forcing his/her opponent to ā€œwait it outā€ that IS something we do not like. If you see a player like that be sure to report him and we will talk to him/her :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, not really :confused:
There is this site: https://ogs.readme.io/ but as OGS is developing more or less quickly and is basically run by volunteers nobody feels like updating the site every time something changes and a lot of stuff is now outdated or different :smiley: at the moment learning by doing is basically the only way

1 Like

Thereā€™s also this ofc: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Interesting. I had the impression no-one updated it because we didnā€™t have permission. But now I see I can sign up and at least make edit suggestions.

I wonder if everyone knows that?

2 Likes