Please enable ranked games for all board sizes

Is there a reason not to enable ranked games for all board sizes? Anoek has stated in this thread Which rank decides on automatic handicap/komi? that the individual category ranks for 9 x 9, 13 x 13 and 19 x 19 are purely cosmetic and have no influence on automatic handicap or komi (although I still have my doubts about this, for various reasons already stated :slight_smile: ).

If your overall rank is always used, why not enable ranked games for all board sizes? I don’t need the corresponding ELO information displayed on my profile like we have for the three ranked categories so far. I love to play all kinds of different board sizes and it makes me sad that I can only play ranked games in three of them.

You can play ranked games on 9x9 and 13x13 boards. They will affect the overall rank at a rate of .25 and .5 respectively (compared to 19x19). The ranks you are awarded for one boardsize are cosmetic, because they re not used for matchmaking or handicap.

1 Like

Interesting, I had no idea.

I know that 9 x 9 and 13 x 13 can be played ranked, lol :slight_smile: I was asking for ALL board sizes to have ranked games enabled, e. g. 11 x 11, 15 x 15, 19 x 9, etc. Like I said, I love to play all kinds of different board sizes, not just the three that currently have ranked games enabled.

oh… ok. i didnt get that. probably the idea is to keep ranked play to the most common sizes. even having 9x9 and 13x13 ranked is actually very uncommon on go servers.

Which is what I’m lamenting. What you’re saying about 9 x 9 and 13 x 13 contributing less than 19 x 19 to your overall rank is probably the reason, then. It would probably be difficult or impossible to implement appropriate percental contribution to overall rank for every possible board size.

2 Likes

Procentual? You mean percentile?

Quite probably she means “percental” / “percentagewise” / “percentual”. I don’t know where @Sarah_Lisa is from, but in Germany we say “prozentual” for “percental”.

(from dict.cc | prozentual | English Dictionary)

3 Likes

Yup haha. :slight_smile: Thanks for the correction.

I’m quite sure, unusual board size should not interfere with 19x rank.
But i would like to have a rank for 5x5, 7x7, 11x11, 25x25 and all weird mix.
What for ?
Like that i can see if my opponent is use to this particular shape of board.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.