Please Explain Move To A Newbie

Hello All,

I am just starting playing the game of Go and learning the rules as I play. Today I played a game with Noob_bot_3. Please can someone explain to me how Noob_bot_3 (Black) captured all my pieces. Please see attached print screen. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2 Likes

Wait which game is it?I can try to find it in ur profile but it is slow.Wait is that game private?

I checked his profile, the only public games are against amybot beginner…

What happened in the moves between the 2 screenshots? Maybe you filled in the eyes by mistake?

4 Likes

Looking at the game tree in the screenshots, it looks like the bot continuously passed while you filled your own eyes. You need two of those to not be captured.

3 Likes

The bot continuously passed while I filled the board. But I don’t understand how the last move capture all my stones. Please explain to me (newbie). I am learning the basics of the game.

1 Like

This playlist from the New York Institute of Go is very helpful in explaining the basics. I strongly suggest watching all of the videos.

5 Likes

This video is not part of that beginner playlist but more specifically explains eyes and why your stones were captured:

5 Likes

Thank you all for your assistance. I understand now about why is it a bad move to fill in my own eyes.

8 Likes

Thank you RubyMineshaft for pointing to the videos. I saw her videos Rules of Go - Part 1 & 2. Will watch it again to get a better understanding.

5 Likes

What? No greeting here from any of us?

Welcome @DragonMantis!
Have fun in discovering go and if you have any more questions later, feel free to ask.

4 Likes

You could also check this amazing OGS feature:

Learn to play go:

3 Likes

I don’t think it has as much in the way of explanation as it could though. It still doesn’t say what an eye is for example or how to count lives/liberties of stones - it just says capture the stone or make two eyes or stop them from making two eyes.

2 Likes

If you have advice on how to improve our tutorial, you should tell @AdamR

Well, allow me a bit of self promotion and offer an alternative, online-go tutorial is very minimalistic by design - do please let me know about any ideas for improvement, I will be happy to pass those along with my own ideas, but I am not in any sort of full control about the tutorial, so it might take a lot of time for actual changes to be made.

Together with several OGS users we created an alternative - learn-go.net, that is focused on explanations rather than quick introductions, so with luck you might find some answers there. There I have full control over the website so any reasonable suggestions I am happy to implement quickly :slight_smile:

3 Likes