Poll: How do you improve?

Recently vox pops seem to be the hype on this forum, so I’ll butt it with an on-topic poll.

What ways do you use to improve your Go playing abilities?

Please choose only those things that you do regularly. Let’s say, at least weekly.

• I read books
  • I browse internet resources (e.g. senseis)
  • I watch videos / streams
  • I watch professional games
  • I study / memorise professional games
  • I study / memorise AI games
  • I practice tsumego
  • I study joseki
  • I memorise joseki
  • I review my games on my own
  • I review my games with a stronger player
  • I review my games with AI
  • I frequent a go club
  • I have a teacher / attend class
  • I play teaching games with a stronger opponent
  • I play games against myself
  • I play, like, a lot. I mean, really a lot
  • I don’t try to improve

0 voters

Same poll, but now single choice for the one you do most / learn most from / like most:

• I read books
  • I browse internet resources (e.g. senseis)
  • I watch videos / streams
  • I watch professional games
  • I study / memorise professional games
  • I study / memorise AI games
  • I practice tsumego
  • I study joseki
  • I memorise joseki
  • I review my games on my own
  • I review my games with a stronger player
  • I review my games with AI
  • I frequent a go club
  • I have a teacher / attend class
  • I play teaching games with a stronger opponent
  • I play games against myself
  • I play, like, a lot. I mean, really a lot
  • I don’t try to improve

0 voters

9 Likes

Also, please discuss at length why your way of studying is superior to every other method :slight_smile:

1 Like

I fear that I’m incompatible with your poll methodology. I do quite a lot of things (I feel) but certainly not weekly so the only option remaining is that I am not trying to improve, although I do feel I am trying to improve, just not very quickly.

2 Likes

You’re assuming that I improve …

5 Likes

Well, there’s improving and there’s trying to improve

3 Likes

Feel free to relax that condition, and read it as “a large part of my time spent on go is spent on …”

1 Like

You forgot

I LAUGH AT GO RELATED MEMES

14 Likes

Ok, and since I’m clarifying the criteria can “I play, like, a lot. I mean really a lot” mean “I play so much that the wife gets cross about how much I play” even though I suspect that half a dozen concurrent correspondence games is not that much playing?

2 Likes

It is not. It is fully customized to my laziness. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I guess your wife would agree that that’s a valid criterium then

1 Like

To me, this poll is missing some notable ways to improve:

• I teach others
    This is the explanation effect. I haven’t really learned something until I can explain it to someone else. I attribute most of my improvement after 6k to this.

• I practice
    This is distinct from playing games. It’s repetition, trying things, and making adjustments until you get it right.

• I discuss Go with others
    Like teaching, talking about Go stuff and listening to others on this forum and elsewhere helps refine my own understandings.

12 Likes

Do you know if I can add options later without ruining the vote?

I wanted to allow others to add options, but it didn’t seem possible.

1 Like

I did it before in a poll, press enter, * with a space and the option you want.

Edit: maybe it’ll ruin stuff and it was just a work around.

I’d be careful with that - I share Vsotvep’s suspicion that ths will lose the votes…

4 Likes

There, tonybe fixed it.

2 Likes

I tested in a PM with discobot: it does lose the results, but when you try to vote again, it does remember your original vote, so you only have to look at the new options…

Edit: No it doesn’t, the vote vanished after reloading the page.

2 Likes

In any case, these are some very good points :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Most of all, I like to goof off on a go forum (post memes, make polls, rules pedantry, etc).

One day, I discovered that I could remove the word “forums” from the URL and go directly to http://online-go.com, which is a nice little website that has an interesting game involving black and white stones.

11 Likes

I followed the “weekly” stricture in my reply, but I have read go books and hope to again (when I retire, perhaps in a year and a half). I have read a lot in SL, but not recently. And I do self-review all my games; however, I don’t play much online, and my IRL games are not recorded. After the IRL games, we generally discuss the major points in the game.

2 Likes

“Playing Stronger Players” is a great one - especially with Analysis Off (and definitely unranked, so you don’t have any silly psychological pressure and can just learn)

I want to tip my hat to @Kosh who has been my teaching-partner in that: it’s been awesome.

8 Likes