[Poll] How go should be advertised?

What craziness?!? I voted for two holes? What was I thinking?

There, much better. Back to the side of logic.

One hole? One?! As if! There’s a hole at each end!

Actually, as I was typing this I realised that, topologically, there is just one hole since a straw is essentially a long ring.

Not sure what I was thinking about then, since I posted about topography at the time.

5 Likes

On buses, apparently.

From BenZenGo’s 2014 blog post.

When we first arrived in Hong Kong, one of the things we did was to go to one of the shopping districts. And believe it or not, as I’m walking down the street, I see this across the street.

blink

double blink

rubs eyes

squints at the bus ad

8 Likes

I am surprised they call it “go association” instead of “weiqi association”.

2 Likes

Also using the “third capitalisation” (go, Go, GO).

2 Likes

They have mascot bags!

Credit again to BenZenGo.

4 Likes

Found on the blog MySanRenSei, in the 2014 post GO Playing in Turkey.

I’m not sure why, but Go blogging seems to have been really popular in that year.

Its astonishing, that GO receives high attraction in Turkey these days… being learnt and played from young and elders… here some pics I collected which document this increasing interests.

GO board in a Turkisch school yard…

GO Summer Academy on Turkish beach

6 Likes

I’m not surprised! :sweat_smile: I mean… It’s Hong Kong.

4 Likes

From trohde’s 2018 post on L19, opening the thread Worldwide Iwamoto Awards 2018—Submit Your Cool Go Project! • Life In 19x19 (which has nothing else in, L19 being so dead).

In 2015, the touchscreen go table in the centre of Vienna—designed by Daniel Bösze—won first prize.

2 Likes

Shirts!

Drop-in at the Atom Bomb Game

from ZenMachine (larger version)

1 Like

Looks like they translate wei qi as Go in English, because the pinyin for those Chinese characters is indeed wéiqí. Interesting indeed.

1 Like

BGA banners, booklets, and other resources

As mathematics?

Our Key Stage 3 in the UK is 11–14, but this poster looks oriented towards younger students.

4 Likes

Something like this ?:

2 Likes

Items that promote Go can be purchased at the Go shop in the Nihon Ki-in in Tokyo. … Items have included hankies, playing cards, drinks mats, key-rings and tie clips.

Our annual competition for schools, the UK Go Challenge, produces items suitable as prizes … Each year a new design of fridge magnet has been produced for those winning three games or more

Excerpted from Tony Atkins’ article Collecting Go XI: Memorabilia in BGJ #158, 2010-11

3 Likes

Since the responses turn out to be serious. Some of my ideas:

• Push/suggest mangaplus to add Hikaru no Go.
  • Republish physical Hikaru no Go. Translate it to new languages.
  • Donate the volumes to all libraries.
  • Dub/sub Hikaru no Go in more languages. Publish BD and DVDs.
  • Reair the anime on TV.
  • Donate the BD and DVDs to all libraries.
  • Dub/sub other Go TVs in more languages. Like the recent Hikaru no Go cdrama.
  • Ask the Confucius Institute to take a break from their espionage and political BS. And do more weiqi class. At least the ones around me stop giving classes. Long before the pandemic.
  • Give the EGF pros and high-dans English lessons. And public speaking class. I don’t think they are doing much to promote the game. There must be a marketing major or some social media-savvy guy in EGF or European Go community. They can’t be all math and CS majors.
    • I rather have a healthy amateur community, like in Thailand. Instead of a pro system that no one cares about.
  • Make a regular /baduk/ general in /tg/.
  • Make a regular /go/ general in /jp/.
4 Likes

In which way would you like EGF pros to promote the game?

Maybe it would be more fruitful if they promoted the game in their own language?.. Countries with people who communicate in their own language is a thing that exists?..

2 Likes

Who would pay the EGF pros for promoting go? The EGF is quite poor.

The same goes for many of the other suggested actions. Who would pay for that?