[Poll] How go should be advertised?

The effort was made years ago. There wasn’t enough activity to keep it bumped up.

I think you’ll find this 1973 essay by Francis Roads, on establishing and promoting clubs in the UK, useful.

(The quote display is from a different article excerpted in the same post.)

I’ll even summarise it further.

• advertise where STEM people are
  • emphasise that equipment can be made cheaply
  • be prepared to spend a lot of time teaching and playing with beginners
  • establish a regular location
  • affiliate to the national association
  • invite a strong player to give a lecture or simul
  • contact local papers and radio stations about Go events
  • advertise in libraries
  • donate Go books to libraries or try to persuade them to buy some
  • offer Go talks to public speaking groups
3 Likes

Ikr. Things cost money, who knew?

I guess so. The countries that produce these pros have super vibrant Go community.

I personally think they can have better online presence. Not in instagram way. But more streaming, regular youtube videos, more interaction in online communities (this forum, L19, /r/baduk, discords, and so on). The following is untrue of course. But the impression I got is they only care about paid students, having a go equipment store and improving their Go skills. And yet got slaughtered by Ryan Li anyways. But as the other guy said, no money.

And someone in EGF must realize Go is such a generic word. Sure you can prefer that word, but they should have included Baduk and Weiqi in their websites, patreons, youtube channels and so on. That’s why I said, they need help from some marketing guy.

Certainly a much better list.

3 Likes

Or just make a new Go Manga Series but I doubt either Jump, Weekly shonen Magazine, or Sunday think it would sell-well this days same goes to authors. But, i don’t give up hopes…

ps. sorry, idk how to quote specific sentences on this forum lol

There’s 9 Dan Girl

1 Like

Mateusz surma does post videos on YouTube and Facebook from what I remember.

I follow his polgote shop/school page.

Recent post from polgote on Facebook

It ties into other peoples posts about trying to include other names than “Go”. Even on app stores it can be better to search for weiqi and baduk than “Go”.

1 Like

go is to Goh what no is to Noh.

In one case the former was chosen, in the other the latter.

Nope, the romanisation “oh” of Japanese signifies a long vowel, thus “Noh” signifies that it is called のう = 能 in Japanese, and not の.

Meanwhile, Go = ご = 碁 has a short vowel.

3 Likes

Hang posters for local Go clubs (or OGS) in martial-arts studios/dojos.

2 Likes

That apple thinks that the Foundation series must be jazzed up with cool graphics and violence for television is not really proof that it actually must be. I think it’s more the case that when you have a certain set of tools, you tend to use those tools.

I agree that the trailer is disappointing, and I’m not optimistic that the adaptation will be effective or faithful. They seem to be leaning more towards Star Wars (Empire vs. heroic rebels) than Foundation.

1 Like

I see the point but did you try it?

I’d like some feedback from anyone who tried to connect both worlds if any.

No, this was just an idea. I have not tried this.

1 Like

Nevertheless the spelling has been used, eg. in Horace Cheshire’s 1911 Goh or Wei Chi.