[Poll] Thoughts on an English Title for Go (Weiqi/圍棋)

Sorry, I’ve already voted above.

1 Like

Have you tried to google igo? At the moment go gives better results. (At least for me)

1 Like

If thats the case then provide other options. Because thats all this forum post is about. The reason i used those are because they are rough translations of Weiqi…

1 Like

Last time I checked, circus was Latin (or kirkos for the Hellenic equivalent) with Proto-Indo-European roots. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If we go that far, nothing is English anymore.

I’m pretty sure that our go will outlast the pokémons, the counter strikes and probably even the programming language. Apart from that I’m convinced that google will become so sentient that it will know which go you mean from context (isn’t this reality already?)

5 Likes

Go is a borrowed word, rendered from “Igo” and in-turn becomes a ‘homograph’ in english. A homograph means it has the same spelling as go but means something different. That’s it.

1 Like

If I had to pick a name, any name, but not Go… I’d say a game of life. In it’s highest form Go is a dance on a thin line between life and death. It’s a constant struggle to maintain a subtle order, often barely visible, that’s constantly challenged. Forces that shape the board continuously evolve, shift and transcend as the game progresses despite the stones being seemingly still.

But since that name is taken as well, I suppose I’d call it flux

7 Likes

@adude9000 How about befōþ? That’s a nice English word for “to encircle” that isn’t just a loan word from somewhere else.

5 Likes

Please have some fun.
Be creative instead of reactive. We mentioned making different words

Sur- is a prefix means over, above, addition to
Circ- is a prefix means ring
En- is a prefix mean in, within

All of non-english origin. We get it. This isnt middle school. We have inferred english is a choppy language years ago.

1 Like

Yeah ya, I also saw befōn while looking that word up. Those are optional ones.

1 Like

I would choose the word ‘Siege’, as it has a meaning of aggression, comparing to other words like ‘surround’.

2 Likes

You have all passed the test. I was just about to knock on International Go Federation front door and change the name off of 12 people votes. But you all have chosen the right path and dont know how to engage in a topic.

2 Likes

I would join

1 Like

Yeah i have seen it called that also

1 Like

I would not choose Baduk, Weiqi, Igo as the English name of ‘Go’. These are names from Korea, Mainland China and Japan, although China is the origin, but who said Mandarin is the original language in China? Using the pronunciation of other languages to rename an object is really dumb(unless its a person’s name).

1 Like

Call it simply “Game of Stones”. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nay. I like my lofed groups to life till the end. :wink:

2 Likes

Game of Life-Stones?

1 Like

GOS? We only have to add one letter which makes things easier.

3 Likes

Game of Impasse? It uses the suffix of pass that compass also uses.

1 Like