[Poll] Thoughts on an English Title for Go (Weiqi/圍棋)

Thats pretty good.

1 Like

Also taken, it’s a wonderful card game

Not quite taken, but pretty much the same as this great 3d physics engineering game called “Besiege”

EDIT: Apparently “Seige” is already taken as well, but I doubt anyone will care about that quite as much as “Beseige”

I’m not actually sure how this really relates too much to the game. We’re not trying to pass each other, we’re trying to be more efficient than them.

3 Likes

I have absolutely no problem with the name “Go,” and am perfectly happy with it.

3 Likes

Ok

1 Like

“game of agony, misery and disappointment”

Because that how we all actually feel while playing

7 Likes

Yeah, why do we play this game?

Maybe that’s what it should be called: “why?”

4 Likes

:fearful: it doesnt have to be like this. I was just trying to find a nice sounding translation of 圍棋 :sweat_smile: lol

1 Like

I think we should call it PUBG/Overwatch. We’d get a lot more followers on Twitch. :thinking:

We could also call it “music”. People would respond much more positively if we said “Hey, let’s play some music!”.

4 Likes

Lol we have fortnite/pubg/overwatch and music as alternative names now. Its sweet.
We still dont have many options for a literal translations for wei qi (encirclement) still
and 走也是go …still.
Which isnt a fundamental issue game-wise. Just would like to see more of the topic at-hand discussed.

1 Like

Well, we could call it 変げ for recursive subtlety. It’s clearly the answer.

:smirk::smirk:

4 Likes

I propose we rename “Draughts” to “Checkers”!

1 Like

For what purpose? You already know the rough translation is “surrounding game”. I feel like there is no reason to find a short and catchy alternative… unless you’re trying to market a proprietary version of Go?

3 Likes

They say go is also called 弈, 手谈 and 爛柯?

1 Like

Your cynicism is not funny at all and you’re late on it. If you read, people already said some of your doodoo jokes. The topic is stale now. Go somewhere.
Here’s a actual definition of cynicism since im assuming you think its just means Seinfeld™️ jokes. Hopefully you will learn how to engage conversations and not waste someone’s time in real-life. (I can send you what “wasting time” means too.)

1 Like

Perhaps you might want to try to stop pushing the conversation into its death by being so adamant about “staying on topic”. I feel the majority of the reactions here are just people who are following your earliest advice:

:slight_smile:

8 Likes

I think that he is making a valid point and that you are quite inappropriate in how you respond to points of view that run against your own. Your remarks belittle others by assuming that they are less intelligent. What ever you are trying to accomplish, your behavior does not help your cause.

Many, many people have considered the literal translation of the name from Chinese or Japanese to English before. “Surrounding game” or “encircling game” are two very common literal translations, and these can always be argued at length, due to the subtle differences in connotations between languages. However, neither of the literal translations have really caught on as a name that English speakers commonly use to call the game.

7 Likes

Vsotvep. As being one of the few people who did engage with the topic. No one knows how to engage with a topic at hand. Its annoying and time wasting. They would rather use 2 things

1. Cynicism
  2. Neglect of reading
    And cycle it over and over again.
1 Like

I am not one to handle cynicism like they do here on the internet. I’m sorry, its not funny or cute. And in the second paragraph, that does make sense but the topic is to find synonyms. Use prefixes/suffixes if need be, whatever. Its not that serious.

But people keep thinking im trying to step on toes or imply that “the subject is stupid” and they could just go somewhere else. The obvious jokes are alright, like “lets call it pubg/Tales of symphonia” but i have liked every reply that actually showed care for the topic at hand.

1 Like

Exactly, it seems you rather have this meta-discussion than to engage with the topic at hand yourself.

To this I reply:

This is a forum, not a place where you can expect everybody to be aligned with your own goals, and not a place where you can expect a topic to stay on point. If all you need is different ways of saying “encircle”, a thesaurus should be all you need for that purpose.

5 Likes

You agreed yourself that this topic isn’t going to change anything. So essentially we’re all wasting time, or I’d say we’re passing time here.

5 Likes