[Poll] Thoughts on an English Title for Go (Weiqi/圍棋)

Its a poll using the synonyms i found and the reason im repeating it is because no one inferred so 60 posts ago.

…just as much as they say “But i like Go already”. They have been saying that also. Soo…

1 Like

Yes it’s stale by now Alexander since you opted for baduk at the 2nd comment and then said “lets call a language expert” when you weren’t even using the trad. Chinese i placed in front of you.

1 Like

I agree with what yebellz said 2d ago - that using an other descriptive English word will have the same issues as the currently used “Go” which to me is mainly the huge amount of wrong search results it yields. The same is unfortunately true for “Igo” (like pretty much any English word with an added i). To me the best options is to use one of the two other names: Weiqi or Baduk since they are already linked with this game, are already used by millions of people worldwide and which surely are known to every experienced Go-player.

5 Likes

Ok i agree that is possible. (See this is some-what engaging with said topic) but i would like to see a synonym of encirclement that sounds nice, simple and clean.

1 Like

If it’s about (English) pronounciation I prefer just “go” > “baduk” > “weiqi” & “igo”. Since “baduk” has none of the problems with overlapping meanings in the English language, I think that’s the nicest compromise.

If it’s about a translation or a neologism, I’m not sure a synonym for “encirclement” is the most accurate way of describing the game. It’s not all about encirclement. Sure at the end your points are what you have encircled and closing in groups is a good strategy, but there is a lot more to the game than just encircling. That is my main reason why none of the English synonyms of “encircle” resonate with me. “The surrounding game” sounds best, but I don’t feel like I’m just playing a “surrounding game” when I’m playing go.

4 Likes

I see three people typing longform and they’ve been here for two days i hope someone mentions a encirclement or something.

1 Like

:heart:️:heart:️:heart:️ thank you for real for continuing to engage Vsotvep. I have heard others affinity to “the surrounding game” in the least. I think the prefix Sur- for surrounding and the prefix En- for encircle are may be the points in the translation that creed the most for the actual game

1 Like

I wouldn’t call Chinese worse, but at least Japanese words look pronouncable in English. That’s probably the reason we’re using them.

For what it’s worth, both 圍 and 囲 have the same meaning, the Japanese being the simplified form of the Chinese.

2 Likes

No you were arguing for baduk initial then you said all the rest. And sure lets see what that translates to and find a nice sounding word off the tongue for it. Appreciate the engaging with new ideas.

1 Like

The name “go” was never meant to be a translation from the traditional Chinese name.

“Go” is a loanword borrowed from the Japanese name. You are incorrect to characterize a loanword as mistranslated, since that wrongly implies both intent and a mistake.

Your argument is a fallacy, since you are trying to say that a loanword from one language (Japanese) is mistranslated by talking about the corresponding word in a different language (Chinese). It would be like saying that “envoy” (a loanword from French) is “mistranslated” since the word in German is “Gesandte”.

@S_Alexander correctly guides the discussion back to the Japanese origins for the name “go”. I believe that he called for a language expert in order to check that shortening 囲碁 (“igo”) to 碁 (“go”) is correct and commonly done, which @Vsotvep confirms.

5 Likes

I believe the reason for why Japanese loanwords are vastly dominant (over Chinese loanwords) in the English speakers’ vocabulary is that the introduction and popularization of the game in the West mainly came through the Japanese. Hence, Japan has played a huge role in why we are all here. Even currently, Japanese authors and publishers are quite dominant in the English go book market.

Many Japanese kanji (characters that were originally borrowed from Chinese) are identical (or at least quite similar) to the corresponding Chinese characters that mean the same thing. However, it seems that “igo” vs “weiqi” is one of the exceptions.

7 Likes

Which we expected you all know already and could infer when said “mistranslation”.

inference (look it up in the dictionary)

I dont need to ask you to read yebellz. And to say that is not to falter anyone’s int. but i know that points are overlooked. I dont want to keep repeating myself, i will just go to sleep instead.

1 Like

Could you just please stop antagonising everybody here? You’re seriously ruining any good conversation with this kind of remarks…

7 Likes

Where did you find this btw?

1 Like

Its antagonizing when you say im not using a word correctly that ive already addressed multiple times. And you claim the whole is a fallacy. Thus Having to repeat myself. Just because im a forum topic creator doesnt mean i bare superiority. And i know thats not what you’re saying but it isnt pleasant for me either is what im alluding towards. Besides i have not been antagonizing to everyone here you are one to know this in particular.

1 Like

@yebellz has a point that a “mistranslation” is something that has been incorrectly translated: a mistake, while “go” is not a mistranslation, but just a loan word. Saying that it is a mistranslation is just not correct. You don’t have to tell him to look up “inference” for that, or tell him to learn reading.

5 Likes

It is rude and condescending to ask people to lookup words in the dictionary or to read more carefully. It is quite assuming to assert that people disagree with you because they have not considered your arguments. I believe that they are disagreeing with your positions on substance.

At issue is your insistence on characterizing “go” as a “mistranslation”. I find it bizarre and ironic that you defend that position (and word choice), when the theme of this entire discussion is about finding the most appropriate word to express something.

6 Likes

Lol (this is somewhat antagonizzy) MWHAHAHA glad to surround you all to fully engage in this topic. I credit my way of speaking. EDIT… ill figure a last sentence thats better lmao.

1 Like

And sure ill change the word from “mistranslation” in the intial post. What is next.
(Btw int. is short for intelligence)

1 Like

I still do like baduk most.

And you, dude9000, do get annoyed over nothing.

But here’s four short articles from sensei library about names for go:
https://senseis.xmp.net/?EtymologyOfGo
https://senseis.xmp.net/?NamesForGoInOtherLanguages
https://senseis.xmp.net/?KiCharacter
https://senseis.xmp.net/?GoCharacter

4 Likes