[poll] What stone size looks the best?

Based strictly on visual aesthetics, not usability in game, what stone size do you think looks the best? If you are torn between two sizes you can select them both, but if you lean towards one in particular, please only pick that one.

What go stone size(s) are more visually appealing?

0 voters

6 Likes

16 Likes

4 Likes

Why not thicker?

6 Likes

I suppose I should have for completeness sake

3 Likes

Is 50 the biggest you met?
For who don’t know about shell stones the price get astronomical the more thick the stone is (which is understandable )
I’m less annoyed by too thick as by too flat for myself. I think I would have more pleasure with thick glass as with thin shell.

4 Likes

Size 60 be like

And when you tick the “smooth pattern” checkbox as well, you realize English dictionary doesn’t have a word for astronomical^astronomical

15 Likes

Size 1000

These ones have bad quality control, should be straighter

12 Likes

500 ?

5 Likes

I just want to take a moment to appreciate that someone created an account just to make this poll :joy:

11 Likes

That’s look like something I ordered in a restaurant in Tchekia (I couldn’t read the menu ofc so I closed my eyes and used my finger) I don’t remember if I reached to finish it as a polite guest should.

3 Likes

It’s anywhere from 30 to 34 for me.

1 Like

Poll has me thinking: how do stone sizes work anyway? Is there a simple mm conversion?

I’m really curious what size a spherical stone is :joy:

3 Likes

Starting around size 32, it seems that -0.7+(size*0.3) works, but it falls apart on the smaller stones.

Closest fit I could get to the full range of stones is with a sixth degree polynomial, with an R^2 value of 0.9997:

y = -0.0000003x^6 + 0.00007x^5 - 0.006x^4 + 0.2812x^3 - 7.2911x^2 + 98.923x - 543.34

4 Likes

So about size 76 or so for the most luxurious Go stones, “The Marble Set”

3 Likes

That’s a call for a pic, please

2 Likes

black_and_white_marbles

Not even Jitsuyo grade, but the size makes up for it. Notice the amount of use of these stones, they’re so well loved the black looks polished like glass or some inferior material, but it’s actually slate I’m quite sure.

7 Likes

No, no, no, the ultimate luxury would be the sausage-shaped stones that I posted above.

3 Likes

It’s these for me. :heart::heart::heart:

5 Likes

Thanks for the responses and votes!

1 Like