Poor Manners

I think there are a lot of issues going on here.

1. It’s poor etiquette to continue a game you know you have definitely lost.
  2. It’s fine to continue a game if you have the slightest doubt about your loss.
  3. In DDK level games (and even a little stronger) it’s probably reasonable advice to say that you should never resign because you just never know what random thing might happen. There will almost always be a slight doubt.
  4. If a player should resign but passes then it’s poor etiquette for the other player to continue placing stones. The other player should just pass too and mark the board appropriately. If there’s a dispute you can play on, explain politely or call a mod.
  5. It’s hard to object to breaches of etiquette as opposed to rules. In general it’s poor etiquette to point out breaches of etiquette. Maybe I have too much of a British attitude but if someone dunks a biscuit in their tea then the most you can do is half raise one eyebrow. You certainly can’t say anything about it.
14 Likes

I really wish this forum would just stick to the topic. The discussion is about players being told it is wrong to resign. There is no “other” issue.

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. I was taught that you should never expect your opponent to make a mistake.

4. In some cases, there are “gaps” thus the game cannot count.

5. It is not impolite to have poor etiquette pointed out. I have lived overseas for over 14 years living in 6 different countries. I assure you, I want poor etiquette to be pointed out to me.

6. The actual issue of people telling new players not to resign for “reasons?” This is the actual topic.

2 Likes

I want to make a point about time control.

I think it is perfectly fine to never resign in games with, say, 10 minutes per player. I very rarely resign a blitz game on a real board. Holding blitz to the same level of etiquette as hour-long rated games would be a bit silly.

For long games it is good to force yourself to count and resign when it’s appropriate. However, if the game is rated, I don’t think playing the game to the end is bad etiquette, althought I agree that there are some extreme situations that can be irritating.

In teaching games, it is fine for the stronger player to underline that the game is finished and to move on to the commentary. There is an assumption that the teacher is teaching, after all.

8 Likes

I believe it is impossible to hunt and find who told something to someone. And it completely useless too.
We can’t avoid people having a different mind from us and we can’t force them to change it.

Someone told that it’s wrong to resign?
It’s possible. And it’s his right to have this opinion.

Do I agree? No. But I can’t become an heretic hunter just because someone else told me something different when I was a beginner.

The OP is completely unreasonable and stressing on it is annoying, especially from someone who can be highly disrespectful against his opponents.

We should just stop feeding this troll.

11 Likes

Isn’t this the same guy that was insulting people cuz they didnt say “hello” before the game? I know irony is a part of pink panther humour but this is extreme.

Complaining about a 8 rank weaker opponent after you called them “an imbecile” for basically not knowing the game as much as you, that’s poor manners.

That said, one of the first things I learned during my short visit to OGS 4 years ago as a newbie, was that resigning is not a bad thing; on the contrary it is considered respectful and is almost expected in go. I quit go a couple weeks after that but took that idea with me to the other games I started playing and I attributed it to OGS.

Passing to end the game is perfectly reasonable. - True in this case but only when there are no more moves left on the board. Otherwise passing is not an appropriate way to end the game. Resigning is the way when you know you have lost and there are still moves on the board.

I agree that noone has an obligation to resign and I don’t think panther’s complaints here are valid but there are cases where people will keep playing just to get you to slip in the simplest way possible and I do find that disrespectful.

As the “proverb” goes: You can invade like that but you won’t be having a beer with your opponent after the game.

12 Likes

So true. I’m in a game where I almost resigned because I was sure I will lose, but now it seems that I’m about to win it. Never expected that to happen.

And then there’s also this kind of games that you play against a much stronger player without handicap. Of course I know from the first move on that I will definitely lose. It’s plain clear throughout the whole game. But my opponent and I both decided to play anyway. So I don’t resign and play until the end, while feeling honored to get this chance to learn.
Or what is the expected behavior here in such a case? I’m konfused confused.

10 Likes

To stay on topic: No, there is no one out there telling people that resigning is bad. Certainly not in a way that reaches more than a handful of people. Is it strange that somebody want to finish the game bei passing? Yes. Is it rude or should it be a problem? No.

On the broader topic: It’s rather…bold to open a topic on poor manners when one calls a much weaker opponent “imbecile”. As the stronger player, the proverbial white player, you should be lenient, try to help where you can. Be a mentor, not a moaning pain in the neck.

13 Likes

Bear in mind that you aren’t playing a pro game or even a high dan tournament game. We are all here to play and get better at the game, in fact not resigning is even encouraged because then players get to learn about endgame. Some people just want to see the game to its end.
Not everyone is like you.

6 Likes