Progress, Encouragements, and Resignations in the WDC!

I stand corrected, you can stay connected (starting with O9), but it costs you a significant amount of your side territory (keep in mind the R13 group does not need to be connected to the lower right), and it seems like black can do that in sente. However, as of writing I am not sure whether 6 or 7 in the image below (my instinct is 6, but that depends on how well b can contain 7) is the bigger reduction and don’t quite feel like reading it out and counting

Screenshot 2021-02-13 at 3.18.09 AM

2 Likes

Indeed, Q10 is the move that I missed! Luckily my opponent missed it too, so I got away with it :sweat_smile:

You can see what happened in the game here:

I posted this yesterday after only looking at the in-game review and realizing that I had missed the Q10 cut. Analyzing that position in particular with KataGo now, I get the following:

A: black ahead by ~3
B: white ahead by ~1
P19: white ahead by ~5

So B is indeed better locally, but globally P19 is the biggest move.

1 Like

Also, in this position white can stay connected with O11, but KataGo would rather N12! This really confuses me because N12 still allows Q10, so having a stronger shape for the reduction at M14 must somehow make up for that.

One variation after N12:

White is slightly better.

One variation after O11:

Black is slightly better.

1 Like

Not sure if this thread is the best place to continue posting positions from my games, but talking about the games makes it more fun for me, so I’ll keep doing it unless someone protests :blush:

I’m white in this game. I messed up the joseki in the lower left and now the situation is really difficult for me. But in this position there is a cool tesuji sequence to stay in the game, can you find it?

Solution

I was happy to find this in the game:

But after black captured, I immediately took the ko at H5. This was a big mistake since it allows black this powerful hane at the head of two stones:

Instead, I had to find this awesome 5:

If I had played that, I would only be behind by 3 points according to KataGo. After my mistake in the game I ended up behind by around 20. I fought on until the end, and managed to make the game a little closer, but still lost by 4.5 in the end.

5 Likes

Is that some sort of flying knife? Got an OGS Joseki link?

1 Like

Yes, you can see the full game here. My mistake was allowing black to get H4. I should play H4 myself at either move 18 or move 20. Flying knives are pretty dangerous it turns out…

2 Likes

How is everybody doing with the WDC?

This stats link is useful:
https://avavt.github.io/gotstats/#/user/Aumpa

Just put in your name and filter by Feb 1st, 2021, 19x19 ranked, to see your number played, daily average, and more.

I’ve played 28 games, winning about 40%.

I’m not giving up on 100 yet. When I had my active streak the first couple days February, I later dreamed of go. I want to reach that inner condition again.

5 Likes

Hmm, Waltheri only has (15) D5 in the whole-board opening, although its dataset for (5) C3 is also small.

The first game of the line is apparently Zhou–Park '19 Zhou Ruiyang (9p) vs. Park Jungwhan (9p) | Waltheri's go pattern search

And the first with the flying knife is Liao–Tao '20 Liao Yuanhe (8p) vs. Tao Xinran (8p) | Waltheri's go pattern search

Wow this is such a useful tool! It’s a pity it only fetches from OGS and not other servers

2 Likes

@KAOSkonfused First ever blitz!? Do it! It’s so intense. The rush! The buzz! It’s addictive :grin:

2 Likes

Well, I tried it in the meantime, and decided it’s not for me. :flushed:
I get why some people like to play blitz, but I found it too intense. I won by 0.5 points, btw. And afterwards, I had an headache for hours. :open_mouth:

5 Likes

Haha! I can believe it!

1 Like

I think I’m on 49 games now, so my personal goal of 50 is within reach :blush:

This is from my last game:

I’m white. The move I played in the game kept it about even, but according to KataGo there was another option which was 23 points better. Can you find the best white move?

5 Likes

H12?

Actually, that feels more like what the game move would be… the optimal move was probably a few rows lower, and a few columns further east…

4 Likes
Solution

Well done @bugcat, H12 was the right move! In the game I was so close yet so far…

I didn’t consider H12 for some reason, but as it turns out it pretty much captures black. To me it looks like it captures locally, but KataGo constantly goes into variations like this one:

Which is also winning for white: the lower black group has to live painfully, sacrificing C9 in the process… but then the upper black group becomes weak instead! White will have no trouble living with her own top group.

So the takeaway is that regardless if H12 kills locally or not, the “driving out” of 11-13 is so good for white that black shouldn’t even try to save the stones. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes