Punishment for canceling games

On some chess sites there a punishmet for those who cancel games.
Is there a plan to do that on og too.
I find it disgustlingly impolite if my oponents does that without saying anything.
A sry would sufice

1 Like

The creator of a game always has the right to cancel the game, without having to explain why. We can’t punish them if they don’t say “sorry”.
If a player repeatedly accepts challenges opened from others and cancels them please report that player.

3 Likes

From my experience, game cancellations don’t occur often on OGS. Fox server is much worse, when I play there about 50% of my games are canceled by my opponent.

1 Like

Just happened to me :frowning:

It should perhaps be noted that game creators have no opportunity to vet the person who accepts their open challenge, so they deserve the option to cancel if they think their opponent is a sandbagger, for example. In contrast a person who accepts a challenge can vet the opponent beforehand, so has no similar rationale for cancelling. In addition, there are rude players who win a game and then take an open challenge from the same player; they deserve to be cancelled, and if they persist, they should be reported for harassment (which amounts to trolling).

Whether or not cancelling occurs often depends on how one defines “often.” In my observation, cancellations occur much more frequently in the weaker ranks.

5 Likes

Really? I wouldn’t see a problem with that unless they were requested to let them play someone nearer their skill level. Now players who cancel, reaccept your challenge, cancel again, &c., I agree, not cool, though I see it more on lichess/lishogi, I think.

2 Likes

If one player, who you don’t want to play, keeps taking all your open challenges, even after being warned off, I would call that malicious harassment. It does happen, both from stronger players looking for another easy win and from players who are angry about something and do it as revenge. I handled several harassment cases like that when I was moderating.

1 Like

Yeah, definitely if they’ve been asked politely to stop it should become a reportable offense.

1 Like

This, however, is easily solved by blocking that person. I think it is more effective than reporting it.

3 Likes

images (1)_1

1 Like

Of course I didn’t want to discourage anyone from reporting those who misbehave, please do so instead.
But in this specific case blocking the user works better than a moderator asking them not to do it imho :slight_smile:

1 Like

1 Like

Sometimes the person cancelling has a good reason and sometimes the person being canceled is in the wrong. Sometimes the canceller is wrong. There is no way to know for sure, and even if there was that is too much effort.

Presumably the reason that canceling exists is because there is no separate confirmation when starting a game. I think most would agree that no player should be forced to play with someone they don’t want to play with.

1 Like

6gdzel

1 Like

If one player, who you don’t want to play, keeps taking all your open challenges, even after being warned off, I would call that malicious harassment. It does happen, both from stronger players looking for another easy win and from players who are angry about something and do it as revenge. I handled several harassment cases like that when I was moderating.

Why not just block them? I block people who time out when they are losing or are otherwise annoying.

1 Like

If you read the whole thread, you will see that others have mentioned that. Someone who maliciously harasses another player may violate in other ways as well. So it is good to get a report filed and a warning issued, so that they get on the radar of the moderators. It is like in the real world, where many serious criminals are caught by minor violations (e.g., the OK City bomber, who was stopped for a minor traffic violation). Simply blocking someone is avoidance, pushing a potentially larger problem down the road.

2 Likes

I see. Makes sense. No, I didn’t read the whole thread.

2 Likes

Yep sry would pamper my anger

Nope you dont have the as the aceptor because if you take your time some other did take the challenge.
Like we who look out for an time control i like

agaib some a… doing it without apologizing
Dont want to know how they were educated