❤ PUZZLES: A tsumego a day keeps the doctor away

There isn’t automatic reply: I played first move and nothing happened. No “correct/incorrect”, no move, nothing.
But when I played moves for both colours the “correct” message appeared eventually

1 Like

Weird, but since I coincidentally hit the correct button, it works the way it should be. Sometimes strange things happen in that program.

Well it seems intentional for this one https://online-go.com/puzzle/2654 since it says “Correct! But try looking for another response from white.” when you get one of the right answers while playing the puzzle as Black - it’s asking you to play both sides it seems.

1 Like

This one seems wrong - playing atari refutes the solution:

Is there supposed to be a stone at S9?

1 Like

There are several options in the program to ‘guide’ you. Sometimes every move results in correct/incorrect, and other times only the concluding move from the puzzle results in correct/incorrect.
I decided to the first one, but other puzzle makers took the second option.

Very good. I forgot to put a black stone at S9.
Thanks for the feedback, I corrected it.

I only have to add about 30 puzzles (of the approximately 1900 I started with) and then I can start checking, writing captions and ranking the puzzles.
Hope to finish it this year.

2 Likes

I know how the puzzles normally work, but what I mean is that in your other ones you’ve chosen the setting to have an automatic reply by the opponent but in this specific one you didn’t.

As in these settings (obviously these aren’t necessarily your settings)

This puzzle ( https://online-go.com/puzzle/2654) is not my puzzle.
In my puzzles I used the setting you referred to. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok I dunno the who why or how, but I just want to mention that finally I got some nice layout of the puzzles on my mobile! Thanks to whoever improved it.

2 Likes

I prefer the second option, as then you get to figure out how it would play out, how the opponent would respond to your move, and how and why you got it wrong. I think this is an important aspect of puzzles, as puzzles are not just about testing you about whether you got the first move right or wrong, they are supposed to teach you, and help you improve.

I used to be a puzzle creator. I would not create that many puzzles, but when I did, I painstakingly added every single path, which was sometimes in the thousands. I had created puzzles, some from books or online, some from games, but many from my own mind. It was fun. I had the highest rated puzzle collection for a few months, until someone rated all of the puzzles in it 1 star. Except the sixth one, which they rated 5 stars.

Anyway, here’s my contribution to the thread: probably my all-time favorite problem (It’s rather challenging, and the first move is startling):

Interactive puzzle and solution: Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS

1 Like

I started this topic without much planning, just wanted to share some puzzles.
Now that I am one month further I started to evaluate this topic, what I want with it and how. Still not clear what I want.

There is certainly something to say for the second option. Maybe I will make some changes in the near future.
Thanks for the feedback.

Jalousie de metier of one of your competitor puzzle creators?

BTW: Lovely puzzle. :crazy_face:

1 Like
cool

I love that S19 tesuji, even I did get it in a recent game, in yose time…
The start is nice here.

I didn’t even check, I just assumed you were still sharing your puzzle collections :man_facepalming:

That makes sense!

1 Like

White to start and capture two stones.

Interactive puzzle

https://online-go.com/puzzle/21730

White to start and win the capturing race.

Interactive puzzle

https://online-go.com/puzzle/21812

I don’t get it. It seems to me that black can still win the race

1 Like

How?

When puzzle says “correct” it’s black’s turn and the amount of liberties is the same. So I’d say just by taking away liberties from outside.
I must be missing something

You need to increase the quantity of liberties

1 Like

Maybe I got it.

Actually (after the position where it says “correct”) I managed to reduce opponent’s liberties with a hane that works like a throw in.

I made a demo to try some variations

3 Likes

My problem here is why can’t we play directly E19 as first move?

1 Like