Puzzles for newbies

Upon further examination the puzzles in @Françisa’s collection (@_KoBa’s recommendation) are not as polished as the ones in @walken’s collection (@tonybe’s recommendation).

Both collections cover the same 350 problems from Cho Chikun’s Encyclopedia of Life & Death (links: One, Two, Review, CD, PDF). Though Walken’s contains all 900 problems, while Fran’s contains the first 350. Visually there are less marks on the board in Fran’s collection. Instead, textual description seems to be favored instead.

Walken’s regularly contain links to Go concepts that are explained in further detail on Sensei’s Library. Walken also made a note about trying to further the coverage of each puzzle, though there is no way to know which puzzles received what degree of treatment.

From Walken’s Puzzles:

For now I am concentrating on the missing puzzles (starting with 313-349) and trying to make annotated solutions (much like in pi134ever’s puzzles) for puzzles 1 to 189. For the puzzles I cover, I am also trying to provide more explanations to some of the solutions, such as describing the follow-up moves for both players after a Ko.

After trying out a few of the Cho Chikun Encyclopedia puzzle sets, Walken’s remains my personal favorite :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.

Visual Comparison Of A Few Problems

Problem 2 - Francisa (Top), Walken (Bottom)

Problem 8 - Francisa (Top), Walken (Bottom)

Problem 17 - Francisa (Top), Walken (Bottom)

5 Likes