Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

This gave me a real chuckle.

And now for a question that doesn’t deserve its own thread,

What’s an easy way to share pictures from my phone to this forum? It doesn’t host uploads directly, right? I tried sharing the URL to an image once, but it didn’t just show up in the thread. Do I have to… uh
Ozzie_playing_go

oh nevermind, I figured it out.

That’s the full pic for my profile picture. It was a friend’s cat named, iirc, Alphie, who was a really sweet ragdoll cat. Very good with children, and a modest go beginner. As you can see, he was struggling with counting the endgame correctly.

16 Likes

I’d like to play a game against kata-bot (or similar strength) in which I play one move per day. I know my opponent doesn’t need that much time. I got error when I tried.

In chat @Vegetable told me “iirc the lmit is min 10secs per move max 1 min per move”. Does this deserve a feature request?

The bots available on OGS are run by members of the community, and the time settings allowed are set by their administrators. Often they will list what settings are allowed in the bot’s profile page.

2 Likes

Do you mean that you want KataGo to think about their move for a day? Or do you just want to play correspondence against a bot?

I believe the former is a waste of resources, and if you want this, I would recommend downloading KataGo and running it from your own computer. Without a compatible GPU you’ll not be getting many playouts, though, I wouldn’t let it run all day on your CPU (which would be an even larger waste of resources).

If you want to play correspondence against a bot, you can look at the list of ongoing correspondence games and try a strong bot from there.

3 Likes

@RubyMineshaft

Do I need to search each bot and look at its profile? I couldn’t find a list.

@Vsotvep

I play one move per day but bot can play quickly.

My computer doesn’t have graphics card and only has 750MB RAM. I do have ipad.

Is there a way to filter only bot games? With only “Bot Games” checked nothing shows up. With “Single Games”, “Even Games”, “Handicap Games”, and “Bot Games” checked I got too many.

Also, sometimes when I click next button in filtered results, the page seems to hang indefinitely.

1 Like

I didn’t bother with the filter, and just looked at the grey usernames. Here’s a small list of strong dan bots that are currently playing at least one correspondence game:

4 Likes

@Vsotvep Thank you very much!

I sent a request without error to the first one and am waiting for response.

Oftentimes, I see groups and tournaments on Ogs that are obviously intended for a specific set of people like “Group for Go players from Macclesfield-Congleton, but NOT for those from Knutsford” or “Tournament for my friends Alice, Bob, Charlie, Dave and me”, yet have all kinds of random players joining and participating.

How do you feel about that?

4 Likes

I feel it’s just online annoyance, we just never read anything at all.

Well, it is like kids with their smartphones, choosing to shut the rest of the world out. OGS is a community in which we share things, but there should also be a place where you can have some privacy.

If they choose to keep themselves permanently tied up in their group, I think that is a pity (cause they miss so many fun things). It doesn’t really bother me.

Some of their tournaments are semi open: you can join when you join their group. But to be honest I never felt the need to join these isolationists.

1 Like

It’s not the isolationists that I’m asking about, but the people who join groups without being the “target audience”. ^^ But thank you for your contribution.

5 Likes

Actually I have two questions that don’t deserve their own thread:

1. Why is continuing education so expensive? :frowning:
  2. Why is the internet full of “certificates on whatever” that are really worth exactly a dozen eggs, “lessons with 5 easy steps to” (exactly 6 week-old eggs) and “courses to hack your brain/ become a millionaire” (approximately 1-2 rotten eggs).

It’s not that I don’t respect education, I do, but everything is either ridiculously expensive, or useless, or downright scammy.

3 Likes

Not sure internet is the best place where to find what you want. But ok it can be a starting point for searching it.
For education I like face to face when possible. Then it depends what you want to study so the first idea is to collect the info on where is the good place to study what you want to.

About the 2) : it’s too easy to start scams on internet, if you know that it will work for 1/1000 or 1/10000… They don’t bother to annoy 999 or 9999 other users.

2 Likes

Minor English note:

“They don’t bother to annoy … other users.” implies that the “task” of annoying the users is something tiresome for the scammers, which they can’t be “bothered” (motivated) to do.

I think the sentence form you’re looking for is “They’re not bothered that they annoy … other users.” Here “not bothered” means that the scammers are unconcerned.

Apologies if this was undesired :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thx for help

1 Like

During a pandemic and considering the fact most universities are in other countries, internet is the way to go, for better or worse.

There’s a sucker born every minute.

1 Like

I think this is a very complex issue, and the two questions are related and depends a bit on the perspective of where one is in the world.

In short, I think that education (particularly quality continuing education) is very expensive because it is very valuable and is costly to develop and deliver with a high level of quality. However, much of these costs are often not directly felt by the students and covered by the government instead.

In the United States, high-quality/private early (pre-college) education and nearly all higher education (college, university) is very expensive. From the US perspective, continuing education might not seem so expensive relative to earlier education. I think many other countries offer good education and even higher education at a much lower cost to the students, so that might amplify the perspective that continuing education is even more expensive, since that might be less likely to be subsidized by government programs.

I think there are a lot shoddy and scammy education options on the internet since there is a massive global demand for education (so much so that it should be viewed as a basic necessity and a fundamental right by any civilized society, although unfortunately that’s not necessarily how things work out in practice, and some so-called developed nations :us: shamefully underfund education, but that’s enough of a parenthetical rant…), and many see an opportunity to take advantage of the situation to make a quick buck. It’s difficult to separate the wheat from the sea of chaff out there.

Another factor in education is whether it is just solely about the pursuit of knowledge/experience or if some sort of certification/diploma/degree is also needed. The latter, when provided from a reputable, accredited source, often commands a premium.

5 Likes

I was mostly ranting, but you deserve a more serious answer, so. :slight_smile: (excuse any leaps, it’s 3AM).

Really expensive education is very often just an artificial barrier to entry. As someone who attended a public-funded University (as per my country’s educational system, and we’re not a rich country, I’d say we’re poor with rich vices), and according to many people’s comparisons to fundamentally private educational systems (either they also studied in other countries, or they had friends/ siblings/ partners, so the time and the degree are comparable), I would say that the core, the actual knowledge, is really not different (we lack in infrastructure to the point that it’s laughable, but that’s another issue), but the value of the degrees is only seen as different (especially in job applications) because the one is literally paid for. They prefer the person from a family that can afford a degree and make friends in high places in uni (actual HR people words, not mine).
And very often higher education is outright bought, and its primary function is that all those people who can afford it interconnect and create alliances for later on. I’ve heard of scandals in the US, but I can bet every country has them, one way or the other. It’s really who you rub shoulders with, not what goes in your brain.

I should note that, although it’s free to attend University in Greece, as in you pass high school exams and there is no cost related to the degree, there are of course all the usual hidden costs that accompany an education, from the simple rent/ food in another city, if needed, to photocopies and books (usually books are free, but professors use their privilege to basically blackmail students to buy their or their colleagues books). It’s really a broken system, in many ways, but I do not mind my taxes paying to educate kids that are not my own; I fully support that.

I am not saying everyone who attended a private university is worse, or inadequate, or bought their education etc, I’m talking about the system (and I’m mostly putting this disclaimer for future reference, I don’t think you will misunderstand my point).

Additionally, at this time and age, there is really an abundance of good quality, customized and free knowledge online (basically because of our generation and older who put everything on the internet, it’s funny how sometimes much younger people can’t understand that this wasn’t a thing not too long ago).
Me, personally, I have learned a lot from online sources, and it hasn’t been too difficult to find a good course, or an educational video, or a podcast, or a nice article. However, although it helps me grow as a person, it adds pragmatically nothing to my CV. (It’s not my only end goal to fill my resume with certificate titles, I like learning stuff just to gloat over my smartness, just to enrich my inner self, but still, we gotta pay the bills.)

On one hand, US has artificially driven up education costs because it leads in education and everyone just copies the system (I honestly, truly don’t understand why a Greek University Master’s can have similar costs to a USA one, since salaries and costs are wildly different*), on the other hand it pioneered this abundant knowledge environnment from which we all benefit immensely, so it’s really just how things evolve, I guess.
*Or we do that lovely thing where the salary is Greek standards but the cost is Luxembourg.

I’m of the opinion that education should indeed be a fundamental right, although I recognize it’s unattainable in our current society. And I think this lack of educational foundation leads to such a wide berth for scammers, since people pay without critical thinking for a Master’s in Nothing, believing that it’s a godsent deal to pay 50$ for something that would normally cost 5-6 figures, or pay thousands for inflated smoke balloons that offer them nothing of use and a 2-hour podcast would give them the same info.
When it’s not clear what is the value of the education, of the knowledge and of the paper certificate in each case, people unfortunately get mixed up among all that and can’t tell what to pay for.

Another issue, that I will only lightly touch, is the pressure to choose such an expensive, and usually exclusive, direction, at a very young age, where the majority (globally, I’m not talking about countries) doesn’t have the funds, or the maturity, or the knowledge, or the opportunity to make the best choice.

About online costs specifically, I find it ridiculous that online degrees cost the same or just slightly less than degrees on campus. There is absolutely no reason for that, other than universities are used to be treated as a luxury. Sometimes it is a quality handmade bracelet, but usually it’s just Yeezys.

6 Likes

Just because you didn’t mention it, there are usually agreements between states for compensation for each foreign student coming to study and the hosting country. If you don’t pay , your country may do it for you.