Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Why can’t screenwriters tell the difference between “unresolved” and “open-ended”? :roll_eyes:

[A rant goes here, but I’ll spare you]

4 Likes

The site wide leaderboards, what is the even based on? Theres no explanation on what it even is

1 Like

So it is based on automatic site wide tournaments.

By the way you can search answers to your questions using the search function of this forum.

2 Likes

What server/client/program is this?

not Go Renju - Wikipedia

2 Likes

I forgot, what is the name of Yeonwoo’s dog?

Edit: I think his name is Hangbo, or Hamburg, or Hamburger or similar.

It comes up in the first Yeonwoo–Yoonyoung 9x9 video: https://youtu.be/hDGS5Lnm_lE?t=162

1 Like

Maybe PlayOK?

1 Like

I learned today that A is considered a joseki. It looks similar to a joseki I know;

question2 question1

Now I am curious what you think.

Which joseki do you prefer for black?
  • A
  • B

0 voters

I do think you’re presenting it in a way suggestive that they’re reached by the same route.

In reality, A should not be reached from the high approach (P16 Q17 P17), only from the low (P17 Q17 P16), at least in my opinion.

This is true of course, but there is no denying that the result looks fairly similar.

The order of moves is important during a game, but once a certain position is reached, the order in which the stones were placed is not important anymore for our judgement of the result.

2 Likes

Tewari analysis does look at the order of moves after a sequence has been played to determine if it was “right” or not though.

1 Like

Which of the following unfinished games would you prefer to continue playing as black in terms of winning chances?

(Against the same unknown opponent who has nothing to do with the previous moves.)

1 Like

I’d prefer the second, since it seems my white opponent doesn’t know how to punish my extremely weird opening.

But, if white has nothing to do with the previous moves, then it doesn’t matter, right?

4 Likes

I too would prefer the second game. Whites responses are bad.

1 Like

I agree. The only scenario where the game history matters is if the superko rule applies, i.e. if there is a repetition of the position. I can’t even imagine how the games would have to continue to loop back to a previous position here :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Since the resulting position is about even, blacks responses are about equally bad. But it doesn’t matter because either way you do not play against the person who played these moves, but against a random unknown opponent.

https://senseis.xmp.net/?Tewari

In fact tewari analysis by permutation of move order is feasible precisely because the game history makes no difference for the evaluation of the resulting position. The basic idea here is to compare a position which we don’t know how to evaluate to a similar position which we have a better idea how to evaluate.
So how to arrive at such a similar position? One method is by removing the same number of superfluous stones from both sides, which hopefully doesn’t significantly change the evaluation.
The other way is to change the order of moves, which may allow us to compare it to a well-known sequence. So if changeing the order of moves could significantly change the evaluation, then tewari analysis would not be feasible. Think about it!

//Edit: Furthermore one should be careful with tewari analysis. There are a lot of ways to do it wrong …

1 Like

But when I’m playing Black, I have control over my moves. Assuming I made these moves, knowing they are bad, I’ve now seen my opponent plays quite bad as well, so with my knowledge of how to play better, I expect to be able to win more easily in the second game than in the first game.

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t understand your point. The opponent you have to play did not play the moves up to this point, so I believe you can’t deduce their playing strength. In this hypothetical scenario the opponent is the same, independently on whether you choose A or B.

//Edit: To make this clearer, let’s say that I am the opponent you get to play. Do you think whether we continue playing A or B makes a difference in terms of winning chances?