Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Euro 2020 ofc, but I just watch highlights those days on youtube

Basically no. However I would note one difference/implication. In a casual game without a clock there might be some bants if one player is particularly slow. That’s about the only way that the game is kept at a reasonable pace for some players.

But this is really just another way that casual games are different from competitive ones. The latter are always played in silence in my experience whereas there is a lot of chat over a casual club game.

1 Like

Say black and white pincered each other, and now jump out towards the center. When do you stop?

3 Likes

I would probably look to cross over some kind of opponent’s diagonal, but depends what I was thinking.

I think white 8 was already a bit redundant. I like the 8-9 exchange for black.
So on move 8 I would probably have played at D9 instead.

2 Likes

I don’t even like white 2 very much. It feels too early. I prefer F17 or O17.

The specific position isn’t important. The point is that sometimes you get into these jumping exercises, what do you aim for when jumping?

Edit: some more realistic example Mok Jinseok (9p) vs. Choi Cheolhan (9p) | Waltheri's go pattern search

1 Like

I’d say jumping aims at avoiding getting sealed in. But as more jumps have been played, continueing becomes less and less urgent.

It’s a bit similar to this:
Each move is progressively smaller than the previous.

Edit: In that game, there are 4 groups involved in a running battle and all 4 groups jump out to avoid getting sealed in.

1 Like

I’d play C8 as black 10 for sure, and then white’s group would be in trouble, so with that in mind I’d play C9 or D9 as white 8.

If white played H8 as move 9, I’d play the shoulder hit D7 as black still to pressure whites weakened group, so, that means white 8 is still “too far”.

So…

If white plays D9 as 8, bl;ack still plays F9 as 9, and then I play H9 as white and the game still reverts back to normal except white has an extra move on the left, but white is now 1 move behind so blacks stones can’t really be attacked any more.

But M3 is still open so white is definitely winning because of the free D9 and the M3 open spot.

So all this tells me to stop when i would weaken another group of mine, or stop when our groups are safe.

2 Likes

It’s only an endgame move, although it’s one of the biggest endgame moves.

I recall it being like, 15 points? But I’m not basing that on anything aside from a vague memory. Antti has a good way to count endgame if you really wanna know precise numbers. However, his site, gooften is down, so…

1 Like

Not really a question, but for those who missed it or forgot, on 6 Jun 2014 Honinbo Shusaku’s 185th Birthday was featured on a Google doodle

BTW Shusaku’s opening is shown on the board.

2 Likes

I posted that recently in newer times~

missed it :frowning:

Don’t worry, I’ll take double Shusaku on my timetable any day :D

1 Like

Not very usual in China.

1 Like

I was reading the BGJ #138 (2006) and came across this note:

it is folklore

I’ll have to check #137 later.

I notice that this same discussion cropped up on the forums in 2014 and '16 as well, so it’s clearly a perennial question.

Do all British rated tournaments follow EGF tournament rules, thus being subject to the excerpt you posted?

In any case, this is an interesting historical detail if nothing else, showing that the date of the rule being made explicit was after this letter was printed.

I think they do now but I’m no expert and couldn’t tell you when they started doing so if they didn’t before. I don’t even know when the EGF rules were formulated for example.

1 Like

How long do you keep Contacts saved on your phone?

• I never delete anything
  • I delete asap when no longer relevant (for example, coworkers when I leave a job)
  • I delete after a short buffer (for example a couple of months, to see what sticks)
  • I purge every few years
  • I forget to save contacts in the first place

0 voters

Is anyone in the DC area, and would wanna play some irl games at the end of August?

3 Likes