Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

The first thing on the menu :see_no_evil: Thank you very much!

2 Likes

I miss a link to go from the ladder to the group.

2 Likes

Is there an excel functions wizard amongst us?

I used to do a thing (with previous excel versions), but for the life of me I can’t remember how.

Note: it has to be function and not macros and stuff.

Let’s say I have options x, y, z, for column A and options e, f, g for column B.

Column C is amounts.

What is the function to sum amounts from C, if for example A is y and B is f?

Solution currently is “by hand” and it’s driving me crazy.

For example, Mary, Sherry and Kerry travel to Paris, London and Milan.

I want to know all travel expenses to Milan, all travel expenses from Mary and all travel expenses when Mary goes to Milan. There are other columns as well, but these 3 are deciding factors.

This is a simplified example, please don’t provide solutions for travel expenses.

I don’t understand exactly what you are asking but I suppose the “if” command would do the job?

It’s a specific chain of things I used, but I don’t remember.

It’s not just if, because values in two different columns must pass the test.

You also have the “and” command, to combine two conditions.

1 Like

Yep.

But how.

If your problem was to produce something like this (only take an amount when it’s Mary going to Paris)

then in cell D3 I wrote

=SI(ET(A3=“Mary”;B3=“Paris”);C3;0)

(But I am using Openoffice in French, so you would have to adapt the syntax to Excel in English).

If your problem is different then you need to explain it in more detail.

3 Likes

Wow, I did not know that Excel and other similar spreadsheet software would have their function names translated into other languages. Would the equivalent thing for Excel in Greek look something like this?

=AN(KAI(A3="Mary", B3="Paris"), C3, 0)

I guess it makes sense to translate for user friendliness, but it seems to create a huge headache for sharing sheets across different language users and even seeking help online or in documentation. Wow, Microsoft even has a translator tool: Excel Functions Translator - Microsoft Support

It makes me think that we should just adopt a universal language and glyphs for programming keywords and function names…

5 Likes

The symbolic algebra software “XCas” accepts both languages (French, English) at the same time!

1 Like

I usually turn everything to English, it’s easier.

I found a solution with SUMIFS(range; condition 1; condition 2).

One of the issues was that I take data from a different sheet, so an added step, and google gave commas without spaces instead of semicolons with spaces for some reason, maybe older versions of excel.

Anyway, it’s not like anyone can appreciate it in here, just made my own life a little bit easier. :woman_shrugging:t2:

PS if for example for some reason I have my keyboard in Greek and press ; it doesn’t accept it, it must be ; with EN keyboard active. :roll_eyes::woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Does the semi-colon in that form exist in Greek? Would it be very uncommon due to the close similarity with the Greek question mark?

1 Like

It’s a different key (it’s q in EN keyboard), but can you tell which is which?

; ;

I’m pretty sure final coding is the same.

Also, we use commas. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

What’s the second half of this YT video title?
No peeking.

I would not have guessed

6 Likes
oh I did not get that one right

Make your working environment positive with SARS-CoV-2

3 Likes

If you were literally among the first humans on earth and you were immortal, roughly how many people would you have met by now?

Assume normal conditions.

2 Likes

what is “human”?
Evolution is slow

1 Like

Open to interpretation :woman_shrugging:t2:

I’m not sure what the answer is, but I assume it is asymptotic or logarithmic in nature: the more humans I meet, the fewer I will try to meet :laughing:

5 Likes

I’ve read it proposed that there have been at least a hundred billion people in history.

But obviously you’re not going to meet more than a small fraction of them.

How many people does the average person meet in their life? About 35,000? That’s 1 / 200,000 of the global population.

100,000,000,000 historical people / 200,000 = 500,000, so around 500 thousand people.

It’s a pretty poor estimate but it’s something.

1 Like