Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

It sometimes happens to me to say good evening instead of good morning (good evening just feels more natural for some reason), be unable to hide my self-contempt, and from there just be awkward in my social interactions.

3 Likes

Jour is accepted as 24h, not just when it’s not dark (I mean both meaning exists)
Like when you say how many days (jours) in a month?

4 Likes

French people typically greet with “bonjour” before 18:00 (approximately) and “bonsoir” after 18:00. Expressions like “bonne journée” (have a nice day), “bonne après-midi” (have a nice afternoon), “bonne soirée” (have a nice evening) and “bonne nuit” (goodnight) may be used to say goodbye.

5 Likes

IME the transition from good morning > good afternoon is pretty much at 12 sharp here. It’s the other transitions that are not so clear, good afternoon > good evening and good evening > good night.

2 Likes

Anyway when I was in the US I most commonly heard “hi, how ‘re you doin’ ?”

4 Likes

In shops here everyone says “have a good one” now; kind of boring but I guess it’s a safe default.

4 Likes

Hallo(hello) and dag(bye) can be used at any time of the day here.

1 Like

In my British English usage, “good night” is never used when meeting someone, only when departing. So if you meet someone at 6pm or 11pm it would be “good evening”, and when you leave to go home it’s “good night”.

5 Likes

I think that also applies to Dutch, but I suppose you could use “good night” as a greeting in the middle of the night (though I don’t have much experience with that).

It may alse be different in Flemish. For example: it is common in Flemish to use “dag” as a greeting (instead of departing), while that is uncommon (maybe even strange) in the Netherlands.

1 Like

Is this a sideways approach to the vexed question of whether it’s okay to say gg in the middle of a game?

7 Likes

Gg has more of an endgame vibe to me, I find it strange at the beginning. I don’t remember seeing it in the middle of a game, though.
On a sidenote, something that irks me a little is “good luck”.

4 Likes

Go is a game of luck, in which stronger players are consistently more lucky.

4 Likes

And here? Well we almost never say ni hao in a shop (unless,we have some established relationship) and for sure no goodbye. Just turn around and leave.

Nihao is still used, like when introducing a relation but if you start to spread nihao to people on the street that may become weird. Well foreigners have some understanding from locals at least :joy:

2 Likes

And don’t be fooled by the question mark, no one expects you to answer!

1 Like

Good luck as politeness is used when you go for some “challenge” in real life and by extension when you are going to some real difficulty.
So that could explain a weird feeling.

1 Like

Go unironically does involve a decent amount of luck, because while the information of the game is complete and deterministic, our reaction to it is stochastic, especially the further away you are from optimal play; if you look at the same board position at different times and in different days, you could very easily end up choosing different moves, some of which may easily be significantly better than others. So you still have to be somewhat lucky to end up choosing the good moves and not the bad moves from the overall pool of moves that you would consider. Similarly, you still have to be somewhat lucky that your opponent chooses the bad moves from their pool.

1 Like

as was mentioned in other topic, Go is like darts
darts is perfect information game too (in some sense)
everything based on your skill too
Human barely able to predict result of his move too

2 Likes

It makes more sense in correspondence games where you can forget what you wanted to do or, even worse, you might not be in your best shape. Luck, in this instance, depends on which stage of the game you are, because your sub-par moves of the day might not cause you much trouble or you might lose a game that you were in line to win.

2 Likes

I need to make a sandwich today and I’m really nervous.

I have 6 ingredients: bread, lettuce, tomato, ham, and turkey, and mayo

My question is what is the order I need to put them in? If it matters, I need to bring this on a hike.

Obviously bread on both sides. But does mayo go on both sides? And what is the order of the inner ingredients?

6 Likes

Oils (mayo goes in this category), go on the bread usually, to seal the flavor.

Better to touch the salad with that flavor, and tomato should touch bread to absorb juices.

I’d go bread - mayo - lettuce - cheese - ham - turkey - tomato - mayo - bread.

6 Likes