Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Why I can’t accept min 1d game?

Are mentions not bolded out anymore?

This new style looks so wrong.

3 Likes

@Leira, sorry, I guess not. Maybe complain with the Discourse developers. I guess it’s all controlled via CSS, so it’s probably possible to enable it manually here.

How fast is this?

What speed?

0 voters

6 Likes
There is only one correct answer
5 Likes

Unless it’s really sophisticated, it makes me think all the other labels must be wrong too, since it appears to be analogic. Any experts on car speedometers here to explain?

Anyway driving faster than about 80 mph is generally illegal.

1 Like

Afaik is a design choice to attract the driver’s attention.

Or generally improbable or lethal in most conventional cars, which is why the designers didn’t really care about the accuracy past that threshold. My car went once above 120 km/h (less than 80miles/hour) and I could feel the wheels having less grip on the road (which made me check the speedometer and slow down). It was a 10 kilometer stretch of the road that had a small downwards incline, which is why I failed to notice the speed going too far up and why I am still alive :stuck_out_tongue:

Not so in Germany, the country in which any political party that has speed limits for our great Autobahnen in their program immdiately loses half their voters. :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Yeah, the speed limit is not there, but the reality limit of the lower end cars themselves is not a matter of government decision. :slight_smile:

“The average speed of passenger cars on all autobahns is 125 km/h.” which is around 80miles per hour I think.

It’s a German car if that helps. Are all German speedometers like this?!

My thoughts are that this step in scale is faster than it is generally legal to go but enables the scale to show up to 160mph so makes you think the car is faster than it really is. Plainly this car cannot physically go at 160mph. But maybe that is another question - why do speedos show speeds that are plainly much faster than the car can actually go?

Or the labels past 80 are just lies so people can say “I drove at 100” when that’s really not even 90?

1 Like

It is in bad taste, but I have to point out that speedos always show an exaggerated image of reality :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though it is for psychological reasons.
“Yes, I bought a bucket, but look at the speedometer? It COULD go to 220km/h, eh? eh? Isn’t that cool?”

Who would want their speedometer to end at 120 km/h? A good product sells “the dream” and even low-end cars need to push that envelope.

Also, if the speedometer did end over there, half the time were you would be going at a normal 80-90 km/h, you’d think that you were speeding or pusing the car towards its limits. Visual psychology is so important.

1 Like

No idea. I got my driving license when I was 40 and have used it twice in total.

1 Like

Sure, which makes people reacting to the suggestion of general speed limits as if someone was suggesting to have a general curfew at nightfall or use babies for medical experiments all the more silly.

2 Likes

When I was young and stupid, I drove at 160 km/h with a car like this
ScreenShot_08_01_2023_19_37_56
(not all the time, only on empty highways). Maybe it could run faster on a downhill slope but at 160 km/h it was already vibrating quite a lot. After I got a couple of 90 € fines I stopped driving faster than the speed limit.

2 Likes

My car is from that era, so I understand exactly what you mean. I salute you for reaching that speed and I am glad you are still here to tell the tale :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A close friend took his classic Jaguar (which he himself had refurbished) up to 117 mph (briefly) when we were driving to a chess tournament. Fastest car ride I have experienced.

Fastest I ever drove myself was about 95 mph in my 1966 Valiant, but I eased off to about 80 because I could feel that the car was straining. Our string trio was running late for a gig in western Maryland. As it turned out, we got there on time.

3 Likes

The fastest I ever drove was ~170 km/h (105 mph), the top speed of our car at the time (2001), an Opel Kadett from the early 90s.

We were trying to catch our flight to our honeymoon destination in Turkey (Türkiye?). Only when we got in the car, I found out that I miscalculated the driving time to the airport “Brussels South”. I assumed it was near Brussels, but it was actually in Charleroi, some 60 km further away than Brussels.
It felt like the car was almost falling apart, but we made it in time. We parked on the verge of the road near the main entrance of the airport and we didn’t even get a parking ticket while we were away.

According to the folder, my current car (a Skoda Superb) can go 210 km/h (130 mph), but I’ve never driven it faster than ~150 km/h (95 mph), which is still quite comfortable in this car. Quite often I don’t really notice when I’m slightly speeding on the highway.

To reduce nationwide NOx emissions, 3 years ago the topspeed on highways in the Netherlands was even reduced from 130 km/h (80 mph) to 100 km/h (60 mph) between 7 AM and 7 PM.
I now get half a dozen (automated) speeding tickets per year. Those amount to about 50 euros each for driving ~5 km/h (2 mph) too fast. This averages out to about 1 cent/km for me, which is not really enough to make me pay more attention to avoid (moderate) speeding.

2 Likes

Ah, the things we do in a hurry. :slight_smile:
I had a similar situation where I had to catch the last ferry to the island, returning with elderly relatives from the hospital. They kept pressuring me to go faster and I told them that “if this thing goes any faster we are catching Acheron’s ferry instead of the island ferry and we are all out of obols”.

I am honestly very glad that you all made it, but in this country, with these cars and these roads a lot of people do not make it and most people have at least one friend that ended their lives on the tarmac or stuck in a tree. Especially young people.

“I go slowly because I am in a hurry” is a good local saying and a good thing to point out to new drivers, who tend to be more excitable. Because the longer you drive, the more you see it for yourself that all that effort to overtake someone was wasted when you reached the urban destination and the traffic made you hit the brakes anyway and you see the people you overtook kilometers away be just 10 cars behind you.

To lighten things up, your friend has good taste and style :wink:

2 Likes