Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

immagine

immagine

:running_woman:

Yes, I know I’m not the norm. And I trust ranks much less than almost everyone else probably.

But surely you know your rank better than the OGS system does. And so do I. I just know you and me can play an even correspondence game and have fun. And even though we never met personally or even played a live game here on OGS I am pretty sure you’d have to give me about 5 stones in a real time game to make it interesting. So even if rank measurement fluctuates and rank may depend on circumstances, doesn’t mean it’s not a useful concept.

1 Like

As far as I understand, the current OGS rating algorithm has been designed specifically with the intent to be much more rapidly fluctuating than most go ratings from other go servers or national associations.

I’m almost positive I’ve seen code where x is 30. But now I’m curious, I’ll look around when I have time.

And of course, it’s always hard to figure out what’s actually used in the backend. But for the most part, the go logic exists in the open source goban repo.

Edit: hey looks like my memory serves me correctly!

@anon35497988 Doesn’t look like there are hashes or a hashset involved, although that would be a reasonable approach as well.

3 Likes

I currently have a casual rengo in the “dropped games” section. It is now in the dame phase, likely to end in the very near future.

What happens when it ends? Does it move to a “Recently completed dropped games” section, so that I can see the result? Or does it disappear completely without informing me of the result?

I believe rengo should land in your Game history just like normal games.

1 Like
Prelude

19x19 board, ‘k’ komi, no handicap game. What is Blacks expected win rate?
AI quickly proclaims “50%”. A human respondent somewhat agrees.

It’s Michael Redmond playing White. Same question…
AI quickly proclaims “50%”. The human respondent disagrees.

It’s a DDK playing Black.
AI quickly proclaims “50%”. The human respondent strongly disagrees.

It’s asymmetrical time settings; White 0.2 sec absolute, Black 10 days
AI quickly proclaims “50%”. The human respondent strongly disagrees.

Would it be technically possible to display a graph of ‘realistic expected win rate’, weighted for player strengths and remaining game times?

Bonus question: is the first question merely a thinly veiled feature request to software developers everywhere? Yes. Yes it is. This is what the fans want.

A pretty similar question was asked on chess.stackexchange two weeks ago:

1 Like

I wonder if I can wish my Russian opponents a “goedemorgen” (good morning) or if I get banned if I do so?

Check out this video (after about 30 seconds):

Already mentioned.

The Dutch spelling should be fine though.

I muted that thread somewhere early January :smiley:
Good decision, 2500 + replies

I think it only works with the “goeiemorgen” pronunciation, not with the “goedemorgen” pronunciation. Years ago there was a similar thing in Russian media with the name of the Dutch goal keeper Ed de Goeij.

I looked again at the photos I took in Zagreb two years ago. Does anyone know which alphabet this is?

2 Likes

Google says Glagolithic, but I’m ready to be corrected.

2 Likes

Looks more like “Teacher is coming, look busy!”
Since it was in Zagreb, it makes sense for it to be glagolitic.

By the way, I’ve never seen a christian cross in T form before.

Probably in the wrong thread, because it is not a question and also in no way related to go, but just to share the Australian -

correction: New Zealand -

sense of humour.

If I now tell you that it’s about New Zealand, not Australia, will you call me an arrogant prick? And what organisation should we donate to if you do?

2 Likes

Does SGF have a standard way of handling boards larger than 52x52?

I know it standardizes 26+ by using capital letters:

Coordinates SGF representation
3-4 [cd]
17-16 [qp]
1-27 [aA]
52-52 [ZZ]
53-53 [??]
2 Likes

The year 2000 problem all over again!

2 Likes

Sizes larger than that are not specified in the SGF standard

2 Likes