Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

I did check AGA site, and NAGF and reddit. Didn’t find anything. :man_shrugging:

I vaguely remember a thread about a voice activated thingy to play on OGS, but search function is not my friend. Anyone with better memory than me recall more details?

ETA: nvm, I think it’s this one OGS Voice-Based Input

2 Likes

I never remember about that thread because it’s hidden for me now (I mean it’s not pinned), but I was looking for something and I realized the FAQ pinned thread doesn’t have the

“how to become a supporter/ what perks do I get as a supporter”

info that often comes up.

Maybe it should be added? There’s many short threads about that, iirc, I don’t know which one would be most helpful.

Ryan Li 3P (2-1) and Kevin Yang 1P (2-0) will duel in the N.A. prelim final for the Quzhou Lanke Cup World Go Championship this Friday, October 14 at 8pm EDT (5pm PT) via online-go.com (OGS). The prelim utilizes a double-elimination format and the finalists have previously competed with Eric Lui 2P (1-2) and Alex Qi 1P (0-2).

So if I’m not messing up this time zone stuff, that should be at: 2022-10-15T00:00:00Z

https://www.usgo.org/news/2022/10/ryan-li-3p-to-duel-with-kevin-yang-1p-on-friday-in-lanke-cup-n-a-prelim-final/

1 Like

I’m watching an NHK game with commentary in Japanese (with eng subs of course).

I recognize some of the words, though, if the sentence is not too long, like the usual simple ones (keima, kosumi).

At what rank do y’all think a player can “guess” where the kosumi is, if they are told for example a kosumi was played? I guess it depends on the stage of the game and if it was a proper move or not, but I’d like to here some thoughts.

That could vary a lot, depending on the quality of the comentary, how the focus is clear or less…
Being somewhat confortable with shapes is somewhere in the highest kyus levels besides that in my humble opinion.

1 Like

20 posts were split to a new topic: Guess the kosumi

My son asked me: how did the inventor of the clock know what time it was?

10 Likes

I’d like to imagine that you did not miss the opportunity to respond with something along the lines:

“Well, you see, teapoweredrobot junior, it’s been clocks all the way back, ever since the beginning of time, which is why it’s called that, by the way.”

7 Likes

teapoweredrobot junior 's question does have a serious answer though.

5 Likes

Does anybody know how OGS checks for superko? Does it check the last x board states every move (x being the max number of moves that could reasonably be part of a superko, probably about 6)? Or does it every prior board state in the entire game? Does it only check when there’s a capture?

3 Likes

I’m not sure how exactly OGS has implemented it, but I assume that it is properly checking all past board states (of course, it is probably applying some computational tricks to work efficiently). A basic triple ko is 6 moves, but quadruple ko would require looking back eight moves. Even longer cycles are exceedingly rare, but possible in principle, and might be set up in contrived games. It is possible to trigger superko without a capture, such while filling back in after clearing a portion of the board.

3 Likes

Just wondering what the etiquette is regarding telling your opponent your rank when playing a friendly non tournameent game irl. Those who have met other go players for a face to face game did you share ranks before or after the game, or not at all…? For those that havent played irl which would you prefer…? Im wondering if there is a general concesus for what is considered ‘proper’ etiquette? Thanks.

Before the game, to determine the number of handicap stones.

2 Likes

When I visited a large local club (about 22 the night I was there), newcomers announced their ranks as they sought an opponent of comparable strength (“Anyone around 10 kyu”).

2 Likes

Re: superko implementation

Haven’t looked into the OGS source, but as a software dev, a superko rule should be very easy to implement. What I’d expect is a map of the hash of the position to the move number. A hash is just a function that turns a board position into a number or short string that is fast to check for equality, and unlikely (though possible) to be the same for different positions.

So you would first check to see if the hash has occurred before, and if it has, you would check in more detail whether the board positions are actually equivalent. The point being hash collisions should be very rare so you don’t need to do the full board check often.

1 Like

In my own experience there is no etiquette. But a strong curiosity pondered by carefulness.

Most times it is clear what my opponents rank is.
We play with full handicap (and komi). So when my opponent has to give me a 6 stones handicap, then I know he is 6 kyu stronger than I am.

The competition leader makes the play schedule and provides the handicap/komi for each game, using this system:

https://gobond.nl/clubsites/nijm/voorgift_tabel.html

*Assuming that their and your rank really represents your opponents ’ and your strenght in that moment.

There is always the possibility of a rank fluctuation, but (a) the system we use has been used for at least 35 years, so I expect that it has achieved a stability over the years and (b) by winning/losing when one (or both) of the players uses an incorrect ranking the balance will eventually return.