Random Gaps + Pie Rule

If I wasn’t in the middle of moving and had a meeting and a part time job behind schedule, I’d already be working on removing intersections…

If the game takes a week, who knows? :slight_smile:

Also, anybody who feels like it can take a stab at it, of course

5 Likes

I have heard your voices and changed the layout. Thank you for helping me figure out how to best visualise this variant. Truth be told, I’m rather bad at that kind of stuff.

Back in the game, I play J7.

1 Like

Maybe a bit risky, but i answer with J8.

I connect with J6.

closing the border with H8

I’m filling the neutral point D5:

I am going to try to use the aji of J2, by peeping at G3.

1 Like

Ok I connect with G4:

Jump to E2.

I hope I won’t get in trouble here. I try F2:

D2 looks like fun (at least from my point of view).

I answer with B2:

F3 is the logical next move.

I’m wondering if I misread. I play G2 anyway:

Don’t think you have to worry. I am still one liberty short of you.
And I don’t see any possibilities of changing that. Hard to read too.
Let’s try G1.

1 Like

I connect my stones with H3:

Yes, and the removed intersection changes things quite a bit in the nearby vicinity.

I must be a bit dyslectic; I read the nearby victory :slight_smile:
I pass, guess you win by at least 5 points.

I count:

White: 21 points of territory + 5 komi = 26
Black: 32 points of territory + 1 Prisoner (from capturing at H5) = 33 points

Thank you for the game :slight_smile:

I believe this variant has a lot of potential. What do you think @Atorrante ?

2 Likes

This variant certainly has potential, but there is also room for improvement.
To evaluate this variant:

• graphics are okay now thanks to @yebellz. No need to change it.
  • ruleset for this variant needs to be rewritten. Find it still hard to grasp. Maybe even add a demo game with explanations.
  • correspondence by chat is fun for one time, but most players will prefer to play it in the normal play context. And this will cause a lot of challenges and questions (for which you need a programmer) such as:
  1. implementing You cut, I Choose
  2. random generator as to determine the holes
  3. determining the score
2 Likes

Since people like @Vsotvep, @RubyMineshaft and @le_4TC have made useful tools for games before (various go boards, oh and a thue-morse go move tracker!), I kind of wanted to give it a go to brush up/learn some CSS and Javascript.

https://shinuito.github.io/9x9board.html?neu=a1b2c3

It’ll look something like

It’s quite basic. There’s stone hover, click to add black and white stones alternately, and just click a stone again to remove it (without changing which color is to play).

If you want to remove points from the grid put the coordinates in the url. In the one linked above points a1,b2 and c3 are removed and they come after ?neu= with no spaces and for now it should be in that order, letter number letter number as per the coordinates on the board.

Apologies that it’s a bit shoddy, but it was a first attempt at a go board/thing with CSS and javascript :slight_smile:

Limitations:

• It doesn’t have any features for randomly generating the missing intersection placements.
  • It won’t do captures, illegal moves etc, they’re manual.
  • It will still let you put a stone on an removed intersection.
  • It won’t do scoring.
  • It won’t save the position, although I might look into how @Vsotvep does it :slight_smile:, as their code for the stone hover and the idea of storing and extracting some info from a url they used was nice :slight_smile:
  • It isn’t an image, so you still need to screenshot it if you want to share it.
  • the functionality might be a bit iffy on mobile.

Anyway hopefully it’s useful. I had fun learning bits and pieces, and I’d like to add a bit more functionality to it.

The last game would look something like this

on the board https://shinuito.github.io/9x9board.html?neu=d4j8 . (apologies for flipping the numbers on the left unintentionally)

7 Likes