Rating System bug?

I played against someone completely new today and he got points for loosing the match. I just had a look at his account before writing this post and he played four more matches against someone else who is entirely new and they went 2/2. Both got way more points for their wins than their losses and are now rated at 8 and 9 kyu. I’m writing this as a potential bug report.

This on one side seems to inflate the points in the system, tho I’m not really familiar with Glicko. Also in this case since both are rather ~25kyu will lead to them having a lot of unwinnable matches until they are at a different rating.

You can see the detailed rating history after each match by loading an API URL like this:

https://online-go.com/termination-api/player/PLAYER/v5-rating-history

where PLAYER is the numeric ID of the player. If you look at the two players in question, I think you’ll find that it didn’t go the way you thought. The web interface often shows an older cached rating, so it’s hard to tell what’s going on without looking at the API data.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the link! The web interface shows 1150 as starting point when the real starting point is 1500. That explains the “gained points” on the web interface for the loss. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not impossible, but still problematic no? At the end of the day the result is that a beginner who lost his game may be paired against an even stronger opponent the next time (on top of causing confusion on the rank system).

Wait until you lose ranking points for winning a game.

1 Like