Remembering AlphaGo vs Ke Jie

23 May

25 May

26 May

27 May

9 Likes

A team of 5 go players… I didn’t know that.

Should it be stronger than one single player?
Is it doable to cooperate and reach a compromise stronger than each participant?

2 Likes

I guess they tried to join their brains, yes.
And it’s quite an impressive team

3 Likes

I guess that too, but what happens when someone wants to attack while someone else wants to defend?
I fear that compromise wouldn’t be stronger than each of them.

On the other side, a team could find more good moves than a single player.
So I’m really undecided in what could be better.

I dunno how exactly they managed. But the motivation to beat the AI may overcome the uncooperativeness.
Maybe majority decides? Note that team study is a fact (same in Korea) and is supposed to have been one of the main reason of the predominance of these countries in international championship.

1 Like

At least someone didn’t know something, so the remembering isn’t a waste.

Since those pros know each other, they probably have pecking order figured out. And probably they have captain.

4 Likes

At like 1am you’re post convinced me to continue watching the commentary of game 1 where I stopped (I started rewatching the Lee Sedol and began the Ke Jie game commentaries recently when Michael Redmonds book came out).

So that’s something, although I should’ve been sleeping :slight_smile:

1 Like

The team game is where the famous “face palm laughing” meme emerged.

Do you have it @S_Alexander ? I know it’s in the meme thread.

4 Likes

If I recall correctly from the team match commentary, there was always one pro making the final calls, but who it was shifted throughout the game to play to their strengths.

3 Likes

the Team Go match was super entertaining. It has been in my avatar on OGS for a while :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like