Remove the "current thing-flag" please

If you have some sort of way to get invading soldiers out from where they dont belong, please do it. I, and many many others, would really appreciate that.

10 Likes

I agree, but there’s a time and place for everything.

Is there an option to opt out from this propaganda?

I understood gennan’s comment to mean that there are some issues that transcend politics and that the Ukraine war is one of them. Most people, regardless of their political positions or affiliations, look upon the Holocaust with horror and condemnation because they see it correctly as a profound violation of our common humanity and moral code. In other words, although genocide may arise from a particular political calculation, our reaction to it is not a political issue up for argument, but is a position founded on transcendent values. One can, of course, deny a transcendent moral code and reduce everything to politics (which is axiomatic among Communists like Putin), but in that case one has reached a fundamental philosophical polarity that cannot be resolved.

Since the evidence of a genocidal warfighting strategy by Putin is now strong and growing, I agree with gennan that Ukraine is an issue that rises above politics.

3 Likes

Of course. Feel free to not use OGS. That’s how you opt out of anoek’s views and expressions.

4 Likes

Thanks @Conrad_Melville. That’s indeed what I meant (except that I don’t think Putin is a communist).

4 Likes

Yes, on second thought, I agree with you. It would be more accurate to call him a supreme oligarch. What I was thinking of is that he came out of the philosophical environment of the Soviet Union.

1 Like

I think it meant for something greater then empty virtue-signaling Western people are so fond of.

Activism that doesn’t change anything for the sake of feeling good about themselves.

With governments there’re no good guys. The only reason governments support Ukraine is because it aligns with their interest. When atrocities benefit them, they’re completely fine with it.

And regular good guys can’t do anything. How many good people supported Assange? Well, he got screwed. How many people supported Navalny? Rots in prison.

And since we can’t do anything real, we do something meaningless to placate ourselves. We post something or donate a little bit to make ourselves feel like we did something even if it changes nothing. Same thing with climate change which is arguably even more important. It’s screwed but a lot of people try to make yourself feel better by recycling or doing other meaningless personal choices that do nothing really except make you feel like you did something.

It’s all pretending to do something.

1 Like

Billions of dollars worth of financial, military, and humanitarian aid has been given to Ukraine. You think that’s totally unrelated to strong expressions of public support?

If Assange had the support that Ukraine has, he’d be free.

4 Likes

I don’t attend protests to stop the import of Russian fossil fuel in my city to feel good, I do it to voice my opinion and hopefully influence the current government in changing its policy (after all, in my country those politicians want to be re-elected next turn, mass protests look bad).

Showing sympathy online, however insignificant, can help with bringing others over the bridge to join such protests. It’s basically the same as with those commercials on TV, or propaganda: if you see a message often enough, you start believing in it.

I don’t think adding a flag in support of a certain cause is empty virtue-signaling. It does have an effect and has a potential to change things towards your cause.

7 Likes

I think we just use the term ‘politics’ in different ways. Which isn’t much of a problem, especially when we are aware of it.

2 Likes

@Allerleirauh: What you are ridiculing is the concept of morale. Doing something for the sake of morale is not “something meaningless.” Indeed, a study of the subject reveals that it is far more than just cheerleading to boost public spirit. It lays the foundation for a philosophical stance and lies at the heart of things like Roosevelt’s Fireside Chats and of Churchill’s famous “We will fight them on the beaches…” speech. Morale has affected diverse phenomena from the activity of the stock market to the outcome of wars.

3 Likes

That’s about money. Selling weapons is good for a lot of people. Aid is often loans that need to be repaid and is used to debt enslave countries. Both happen regardless of public support.

Ugh, I wanted to stay out of this…

This public support is not totally unrelated to what the people who provide all that support (especially the military one…) want to support.
Or unrelated to the fact that this specific invasion hurts some people more than say, the Syrian one, for obvious reasons.

That is not to say absolutely nothing ever improves. I believe things improve but not fast enough for the interested parties to usually experience the improvements (for example women’s rights, long way to go, better than previous century, depends on the place etc).

I don’t support Russia invading Ukraine.
But let’s not pretend people in general miraculously started caring about other wars as a whole. See if public sentiment has changed, it hasn’t. Europeans here and there very vocally say that these blond refugees are more welcome than those dark ones.
Or that the promotion of Ukraine and burying any negativity against the country (NOT the refugees, the country) isn’t a result of powers wanting to promote positivity for Ukraine.

With all the economic alliances and agreements brewing amidst the war.

Of course the undying American/ western propaganda against “communism” is alive and well and part of the discussion. We shouldn’t deny complications because it might hurt our point, because people see that things are omitted and they feel cheated.

8 Likes

And it’s obvious even when it’s not being said vocally by anyone. And it’s shameful. But that doesn’t make welcoming them in the way it’s done wrong. (I know you neither said nor meant that @Gia, still wanted to make the point.)

1 Like

Yes, I’m not of the mentality “don’t help anyone until my cause gets help” but of “since we’ve improved and now helping X, people please hear about Y as well”.

I prefer puppies, but I’ll never kick kittens.

There is no reason for us to quibble or go around definitions of what is politics and what is not. There are lexicons and political sciences on that.

However, if we argue that a contention and war between countries leaves the spectrum of politics (which is mostly objective) and goes into the spectrum of morality (which is mostly subjective), you open a pandora’s box that everyone in Europe has fought hard to close with the introduction of the EEC/EU.

Whether we like it or not, Europe has had a history written in blood and is full of wars.
Thousands and thousands of years of wars to be exact.

If you open the pandora’s box again and start elevating every war in a “high moral” issue, then we will end up with more wars in Europe because everyone will jump on that bandwagon and return to have another look of older wars and disputes with “modern standards”.

It is already a volatile environment in some borders with old dislikes and feuds still lurking underneath the seemingly still surface of the EU.

I do not want to wake up one day and see the propaganda pamphlets about the Balkan wars and whose great-grandfather used to live on which village that is now on the “wrong side” of the borders, ok? :stuck_out_tongue:

Please try to be more considerate. :slight_smile:

The university of Florida recently renaming the “Karl Marx” lecture hall despite Marx being a German, is still objectively funny.

1 Like

Your quotation from my post has been ripped from the context. If you read the whole post, you will see that it is explicitly predicated on the belief that the Ukraine war is now a genocidal war, which, for the reasons stated, transcends politics. I stand by everything I wrote there (except for my characterization of Putin, which I corrected in the next post, in response to gennan’s comment).

A murder is a moral decision.
A genocide is a political decision.

Dressed and decorated as morality / religion / the weather was weird that day, but it’s politics.

Because politics isn’t left - right, communism - not communism. It’s just reduced to that because it makes it easier to control.

Try to explain to the average person the web of politics that goes into Ukrainians dying as we speak and most will short-circuit. But if you say “well, it’s not politics because there’s no political parties here, just right and wrong”, voilà they are now experts and confident (and none the wiser for the next time they’ll have to navigate a similar issue).

1 Like

I hope you see the irony in “genocide” being a relatively recent term/word and politically defined by the “genocide convention”:

If it “transcends politics” one has to wonder to where it transcends to … what is “after/beyond/above politics” and what are the rules there? I think that is a fair question.